Sunday, September 15, 2024

grammy's pearls


That's what she said the moment she saw what I'd brought in one of the silk jewelry bags that had traveled with me from Okinawa.
She even knew rules about the wearing of pearls.
Pearls are the last thing on, and the first thing off.
Perfume is sprayed on or applied before the pearls.
As soon as she'd said those rules, I remembered Mama telling them to me, too.
That would have been back in 1996, when she and Frank gave me the pearl bracelet before my doctoral graduation ceremony.
I have no idea when she had spoken to her first granddaughter about pearls...
but it was gratifying that Christina had instantly recalled those pearls of wisdom.
(smile)
Now Mama's pearls, and mine, too, belong to my beautiful first niece.
How fortuitous that she was still wearing her Sunday best when I met her for dinner!
Right time, right place.
And just where were we?
Olive Garden.
She and I both had gift certificates to use, too.
She and the girls were in town to watch the soccer coach play in a game, so she'd contacted me about dinner plans.
I'd closed out the safe deposit box, no longer feeling a need to keep it, and had found the forgotten jewelry within.
Timing...
not just "a coincidence"...
a perfect opportunity for both of us.
i thank You, God.

No comments: