Wednesday, March 23, 2022

fixing damage from hurricane matthew

All day long, big machines have been convening in front of my house, tearing up the road, then pounding it back into place and recovering its surface until it's smooth once more.

It hasn't been smooth for almost six years.

That's how long it's been since Hurricane Matthew roared into town, accompanied by tornado action that felled five trees in a row in the park.

The roots of that great oak had caused the road to buckle as it fought to stay anchored, shattering the curb as well.

That curb is now shiny and white, having been replaced a few weeks ago, along with several other areas of damaged curbstone in this area.

When the physicist had brought me home last night, the crew was already working on the street there and had one lane roughed out.

I was talking to him about the wind damage from 2016 and pointed down toward some newly laid curbing on the park side, about three houses down from me.

"That's where the tornado took out five trees in a row," I told him, "ripping them up by the roots before smashing one into a house."

He looked absolutely shocked.

I think part of that might be from how slowly I move these days.

He had parked close to the JEA, so I could do my odd little walk: five paces, then change-step, five paces, then change-step.

I even explained that the change-step is an abbreviated pace, sometimes staying in place, and is used to keep a company together as they march in unison around a corner.

Yet another little loss adjustment on my part, as I deal with atrial fibrillation.

I'm so blessed to have him as my bfe.

He's been quite concerned about my health and has offered to bring groceries to me on his way home from the university.

He's even offered to pull my trash bins to the curb for me when I need that done!

I'm going to make sure I ask for his help with those, and with the shopping, too.

I really need to do better about letting those who love me help me.

I really do, and I'm going to try.

As Carolyn says, "just use baby steps, but keep going, and soon you'll be back to your strong, independent self!"

Yes, ma'am, I'll do my best, control freak that I am.

(smile!)

1 comment:

faustina said...

FYI: the work continues.
At least they have the decency to not start making noise until after 10 AM, or even later, and are done by dark.
Thank you, City of Savannah!