Saturday, March 5, 2022

no more naps!

Did I tell you that I'd finally figured out what was causing me to be so sleepy after breakfast?

"Nope! You did not.

It was from taking the Zyrtec with the metoprolol. Well, that's what I believe, though I haven't read anything that links the two drugs with napping.

"You're still taking the Zyrtec, though, right? I've seen the pollen in the oak trees!"

Oh, you betcha I'm still taking it! I'm just not taking it with breakfast. I've changed to a mid-afternoon time for that allergy relief pill. I've been doing so since Monday and that little change has made all the difference. No more uncontrollable urge to nap!

"Well, bully for you, g'friend! But doesn't that mean you're taking some pill or other every few hours when you're awake?"

Sadly, that's exactly what that means.

"So you still have to wake to two alarm clocks, and you are still forced by the pill schedule to stay up at night when you'd rather go to bed early?"

I do, and I am.

"I certainly hope the cardiologist has some remedy for all that when you meet with him on the 11th. As your first niece said, you're retired ad you shouldn't have to use an alarm clock anymore, nor should you be forced to keep watching a clock all day."

Amen to that.
As things currently stand, I wake to an alarm at 0900, so I can take my Synthroid.
I keep those pills and a glass of water by the bed, so I don't need to get up.
Back to sleep I go, usually, with the next alarm going off at 1000.
For that one, I must get out of bed, so I can make something for breakfast, as the metoprolol must be taken with food and must be taken at 1030.
Sigh.
I really hate bossy medications.
I take a multivitamin, the water pill, and 500 mg of Vitamin C then, too.
And here's something new: I save the last few bites of breakfast, consuming those at 1130, when I must take the Eliquis.
After that, I'm pretty free to do whatever until sometime between 1500 and 1700.
That's when I pop the Zyrtec, as well as a light lunch.
Woohoo.
About 1830, I start figuring out what I'm having for dinner so I can start making it.
That's because I must take my second dose of metoprolol at 1930.
Seriously, that's what the beta blocker calls for: one with breakfast, one with dinner, with the two pills taken 9 hours apart.
Once dinner is done, I have four hours before I need take any other pill.
Woohoo, right?
Then, when the second dose of Eliquis is taken at 2330, it's time to wind down and get ready for bed.
During the week, that involves watching those Harper boys and whatever mischief they might get into... or that Jake might get wrapped up in.
Then, the next day, I start all over again.

"Wow. That's a real loss of freedom you have there."

Right? I'm supposed to be having adventures, going off and about, trying new things, having another go at things I enjoy - I'm retired!!!
I'm going to have to find a way to explain all this to Dr. Cobb.
Hopefully he will understand and have some better option for me.

"Speaking of him, what's going on with that pricey blood thinner prescription? Won't that be nearly done when you see him?"

It's now being handled through the VA! I had sent an email to Ms. Barker about it, then I sent an email to Community Care about the doctor appointment, as well as contacting the Savannah VA Pharmacy about the pills. And guess what? That last one got the fastest action!

"I didn't even know the Savannah VA Center had a pharmacy!

Me, neither! But it was in the list of people I could email on the veteran health website, so I'd used it. And Rick, the pharmacist, called me within minutes! That was Thursday afternoon. He arranged for me to have some blood work done at noon30 the next day - that was yesterday, Friday. Today, I heard a rap on the front door and there was the UPS guy, waving at the package on my porch. Three guesses what was inside!

"The crazy expensive Eliquis??? Are you serious??? Since when does the government move that fast?"

Yes, it was that medicine, and yes, I am absolutely serious. Perhaps it isn't the government that moves that fast, but one individual certainly did: Rick. You better believe I emailed him at once to express my gratitude for his quick action! Really impressive... and such a relief to know I won't run out of it.

"Very  impressive. I think it also shows how vital it is for you to stay on the schedule with it, too, and take it every twelve hours as you are doing."

Oh, you betcha. I'd rather not have a stroke, right? And those two meds, problematic as they may be to the schedule of a spoiled rotten retiree like myself, will make sure I'm able to continue on - eventually, once the pandemic leaves - in the lifestyle to which I have become accustomed. Well, hopefully. I still need to see how things go with the the Savannah Music Festival volunteering before I can dive back into being a busy, vibrant woman.

"Yes, dear. And you might want to make a list of questions for the heart doc."

Yes, dear!
Now, to see if I can find any free movies on demand!
(smile!)

No comments: