Saturday, March 12, 2022

guess geico gets to stay

When the new premium notice arrived, I couldn't believe it had taken another jump up.
We've been in pandemic mode for two years and the greedy insurance company wants to dig even deeper into my pocket???
So, I logged in and had a little chat.
- - - - - 
GEICO Virtual Assistant (3/9/2022, 5:18:23 PM):
Hi, I'm your GEICO virtual assistant.
I can help with policy and claims questions.
    
null (3/9/2022, 5:19:03 PM):
Why did my auto insurance increase by more than 18%?

GEICO Virtual Assistant (3/9/2022, 5:19:08 PM):
Billing can change for a variety of reasons.
Would you like to discuss your billing with a licensed agent?

null (3/9/2022, 5:19:20 PM):
Chat with Agent

Amelia S (3/9/2022, 5:21:28 PM):
Hi, this is Amelia and I'd be happy to take a look at your policy!
To start, what is your first and last name?

null (3/9/2022, 5:22:50 PM):
Faustina S
I am trying to ascertain why my auto insurance has INCREASED by almost 18%.
Hello? Amelia, are you there?

Amelia S (3/9/2022, 5:26:31 PM):
Thanks for chatting with me today, Faustina.
I'll be happy to help with your premium.
Please give me one moment while I pull up your policy.

null (3/9/2022, 5:26:43 PM):
Sure.

Amelia S (3/9/2022, 5:30:59 PM):
Thank you for your patience.
I see that we've changed our rates in Georgia because we have new data for driving statistics and vehicle parts replacement costs in the state, so we've adjusted your rate accordingly starting 04/12. 
You're still receiving our Good Driver Discount for having a safe driving record. 
You can view the changes in your premium by clicking 'View Next Renewal' on the main page of the app.
I'm going to take a look at your discount options to make sure you're getting the best rate.

null (3/9/2022, 5:32:37 PM):
I'm retired, and have been retired for the last four years.
I was told when I called a year or so ago that my being retired would keep my rate low, but that doesn't seem to be the case now.
I received my new policy yesterday, so that is why I am contacting GEICO now, to find out why such a huge increase and what can be done to change that.

Amelia S (3/9/2022, 5:35:22 PM):
We do take your retired status into consideration when determining your rate.
We have your vehicle listed as personal use only.
This statewide rate increase affects all our policyholders in Georgia.
I'm going to take a look at your discount options.

null (3/9/2022, 5:36:11 PM):
Thank you. I belong to Alpha Chi Sigma, if that helps.
My car is 21 years old, I am the only one who drives it and I don't do ride shares or that nonsense.

Amelia S (3/9/2022, 5:38:05 PM):
I see that you're taking advantage of all your available discounts, with $92.80 in savings every six months. 
We do have your Alpha Chi Sigma affiliation on file.

null (3/9/2022, 5:41:19 PM):
Well, I can't afford an extra $106.80 per year in auto insurance.
I don't understand how it is that I'm doing all the right things as a driver, but my rate is skyrocketing. 
I have been a loyal driver with GEICO for more than three decades. 
Doesn't loyalty hold any sway?
I am terrified at the thought of buying a new car, as I have no idea how I would pay to insure it, if it costs this much for my 2001 car.

Amelia S (3/9/2022, 5:44:19 PM):
I completely understand wanting to save money.
I see that you've been a part of the GEICO family for 22 years, and I would like to thank you for your loyalty. 
We do take tenure into account when determining your rate. 
You're still receiving our Good Driver Discount for having a safe driving record. 
We do take your driving history into consideration when determining your rate, so you are receiving a better rate than someone with a less than stellar driving record.
Would you like a quote to lower any of your coverages to make your policy more affordable?

null (3/9/2022, 5:46:43 PM):
I have been with GEICO far longer than 22 years.
I was with them before I got married in 1992, then I talked my husband into going with GEICO. 
He and I were on a policy together until our divorce in 2007.
His name if Jeffrey McDermott.

Amelia S (3/9/2022, 5:47:16 PM):
I apologize, I'm only able to see that your current policy number has been active for 22 years. 
I understand your concern about your rate, and I see that we have your education and retirement status on file, your vehicle usage is correctly listed, and you're receiving all your available discounts, so you're currently getting the best rate we can offer for your current coverages. 
Would you like a quote to lower your coverages to make your premium more affordable?

null (3/9/2022, 5:47:19 PM):
I guess I would like a quote to see if that will help.

Amelia S (3/9/2022, 5:48:18 PM):
If we remove Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury then this would make your renewal premium $267.30 per six months.

null (3/9/2022, 5:50:22 PM):
Yes, I already looked at that.
Thank you.
However, I have had an accident years ago with a driver who fled the scene, so I know the value of having that coverage.

Amelia S (3/9/2022, 5:52:12 PM):
I completely understand, it is an important coverage to have.
The only other coverage I could delete would be Emergency Road Service.
This would lower your six month premium by $24.80.

null (3/9/2022, 5:53:35 PM):
No, I definitely know the value of that peace of mind.
Okay, I guess I need to consider my options.
Thank you for your assistance, Amelia.

Amelia S (3/9/2022, 5:54:17 PM):
Its been my pleasure, and I hope that you'll decide to stay with GEICO after reviewing your options.
Is there anything else I can help you with today?

null (3/9/2022, 5:54:34 PM):
No, thank you for asking.
- - - - -

That was three days ago.
After that, I checked with several other car insurance companies.
The General wanted more than $160 PER MONTH... and I'm a good driver!
Liberty Mutual wanted about $50 more month than Geico did.
I even checked with AARP's group, and even though they were slightly less, they did not offer any kind of road assistance program.
Then I checked with Navy Federal's group and they were pretty much the same as Geico.
How frustrating.
Then, today, Geico sent an email wanting to know how I'd liked the chat.
Hey, they asked... so I told them.

- - - - -
-good-   (middle choice of 5) - mostly because Amelia had been so courteous -

I needed help with the 18% INCREASE in my auto insurance.
I did not receive that help.
Instead, I was told generic rationale, such as "increased number of claims in Georgia" and "increased cost of auto parts in Georgia".
Those were not helpful.
What would have been helpful was to know what ages are having more claims,
what types of drivers were having more claims,
what auto makers had more expensive car parts.
In other words, more specifics would have helped me to understand why I had such a huge increase in MY auto insurance.

- - - - -
So, I have until April 11 to make a final decision.
Who knows?
Maybe all my squeaking of the wheel will have an effect...
but I won't hold my breath.
I'll just hold onto my money until the last minute.

No comments: