Tuesday, March 1, 2022

pancake party in the parking lot!

I even got a strand of some pretty green beads to celebrate the occasion!
 
"You mean Mardi Gras?"
 
No, I'm talking about Shrove Tuesday.
 
"Wait a minute there, g'friend, I thought tomorrow is Ash Wednesday. Right? That would mean today is Mardi Gras."
 
Well, kinda sorta. It is also known as Carnival or Fat Tuesday, depending on which country you live in. Even the type of Christianity practiced plays a role. Regardless of denomination, though, today is the last day until Easter that you can eat butter, fat, lard, and sugar. That's why the Poles dine on those sumptuous doughnuts, paczki. Those were sure to use up all the foodstuffs that would be off limits for the next forty days.

"Well, it isn't like you dine on butter, fat, and lard anyway. Not having a gall bladder will definitely make you a bit more careful about those!"
 
For real! I don't have sugar much, either, especially now that chocolate is out of my life.
 
"But did you go to Publix for the fancy doughnuts?"
 
Not this time!
I signed up yesterday to attend the 'Pancake Party in the Parking Lot' of Asbury Memorial.
It's a fundraiser for the Asbury Angells youth group and, as it was to be out in the evening air, I felt safe to participate.
I'm so glad I did!
Preston and Kathy Hodges parked next to me and we chatted on our phones!
 
"Well that sounds like great fun!"
 
It was! And there were necklaces of green and gold and purple beads to make it more festive! And New Orleans-style music was playing, too!
 
"I'm so glad you had a nice evening out!"
 
Me, too, but I should have turned into a pumpkin a little sooner. 
The event began at 6 PM, so there was plenty of daylight - and sand gnats, little flying teeth that they are. 
The problem is that I didn't leave until 6:40 or so... so, it was dark by the time I reached Victory Drive.
This was my first time night driving since I got out of the hospital.

"And how did it go?"
 
Well, I made it home safely... but I was certainly not comfortable with the situation.
Maybe next week I'll feel better about it.
 
"One step at a time, one step at a time. You'll get there."
 
Thanks. 
I really did have fun this evening!
(smile!)

1 comment:

faustina said...

So, at the pancake party, I took two of the pancakes and one of the sausage patties and made a little sandwich - yum yum!
Just now, I heated up one of the pancakes and a hotdog and made a variation of a 'pig in a blanket' - yum yum!!
I think I'll do that for lunch tomorrow, too!
Thanks, Asbury Angells!