Tuesday, May 24, 2022

elephants or donkeys

For the first time in two years, I voted in person.
Moreover, I voted at the polling place for my district, on the actual date of the election.
In years past, I would vote early, to avoid the long lines and crowds.
Then, during the pandemic, I only voted by absentee ballot.
For this 2022 Georgia Primary, I elected to vote over at Jenkins High School, partly out of curiosity to see how it looked close-up, after the remodel last summer.
Good thing I went early!
The voting station is now around front, not out back as it once was.
No, only buses are back there now, and I have to wonder if I was the only one who drove there on autopilot and had to reconnoiter. 
I was the only one voting, far outnumbered by those working the polls.
Another person came in as I was leaving, and they were expecting a crowd to come in after 3 PM, once the shift workers arrived.
I had beat the crowd by more than thirty minutes.
I had also missed the lunch crowd of voters.
That was good!
The process has changed since I last voted in person, and the slate was ridiculously long, mostly because of the inclusion of all the candidates running unopposed.
Sure, I guess I could have written my name at every "write-in" slot, for a lark, but what would I do if I ended up on the November ballot?
(smile!)
Who did I vote for?
Well I had to choose between the Republican ballot and the Democratic ballot, as this was a Primary election.
If I had chosen "Independent", which is my true preference, then the Primary would have been a moot point and I would not have received a ballot.
So much for a multi-party political system, right?
That wasn't an issue for me, though.
I had already done my research and knew which of the two parties I would choose.
I even knew which candidates I was going to approve.
The future lies before us, and the only way to get there is by moving forward, not in reverse.
Heaven forbid that we should live in the backward clime that prevailed two years ago.
So, I chose to vote for elephants... and chose the ones least likely to stampede.
Yes, I only have one vote - and my choice is to vote in favor of progress.
Now, I have a talk to attend by Suze Orman, on her youTube channel.
Here's hoping for lots of god information!

1 comment:

faustina said...

Here's the list of all the candidates for this Primary in the Peach State.

https://www.wabe.org/candidates-2022-election/

And here are the results of both primaries in Georgia:

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/24/1100104611/georgia-primary-election-results

I like to think my vote helped make it so.
(smile!)