Thursday, May 12, 2022

having a bit of the irish after a bit of royalty

Oh, my!
If I'm not careful, I just might get spoiled!
I've already been to two plays, and tonight I had a third... with another next week!
It's been more than two years since that's happened...
and the timing has been perfect for my 64th birthday celebration!
i thank You, God!
And many thanks to my bfe, too!
Tonight, the physicist took me out for prime-time sushi as well as a play for adults!
It's been awhile since he had Japanese, so the choice of restaurant was his.
Hey, we already know I love the sushi!
At Ta Ca Asian Fusion & Sushi, a downtown place we'd not been to in ages, he chose the Tempura Sushi Roll and I selected the Louis XIII Roll - that's the one with the red roe and creamy topside.
We split them, so we each had the best of the Classic and the Specialty offerings... 
oh, so good!
What a treat!
Plus, we had onion soup - that was different! - and the always tasty salad with ginger dressing.
No need for dessert with all that!
Then, we were off to the entertainment for the evening, something a bit different and definitely meeting the approval of the bfe!

Savannah Repertory Theatre had Bill Irwin in town to perform his one-man show, "Of Beckett", a show he created in 2018.
SavRepTh's new digs on Broughton Street were not quite ready, so the show was held at the Savannah Cultural Arts Center.
How wonderful to find familiar faces there!
Ryan McCurdy and Jenn Bishop of SavRepTh!
Lynita Spivey, Tara & Trick Kelly, Travis Spangenburger, Justin Kent & Valerie, and Chris Soucy - those Odd Lot peeps I've only seen on fb for two years!
JinHi and Mark Rand - Savannah theatre royalty!
And the bfe even took my arm in his and helped steady me as we took the stairs to our seats... how gracious!
And he did the same when it was time to depart on those steps, too!


The performance took excerpts from several of Samuel Beckett's works, all of which had been part of Bill Irwin's life since his birth.
Seriously, that's what he said!
Of course, he was referring to "Texts For Nothing" - no, not the Dire Straits song!
These were opinion pieces, thirteen of them, which had been written in 1950, which, as happenstance would have it, was the year Bill Irwin was born.
Right place, right time, to his mind!
He recited the 1st, 9th, and 11th of the texts, as well as portions of "Waiting For Godot", the only Beckett piece I was really familiar with, padding the running patter with anecdotes and quick-change wardrobe additions of hats (bowlers, top hats, and even a straw boater) and two sizes of baggy pants.
Very entertaining!
Many thanks, bfe, for treating me to these gifts tonight!
And, again, i thank You, God, for giving me strength -
for the strength to walk the block from the parking garage, across Oglethorpe Avenue, and up Montgomery Street to the performance site...
and for the strength to walk back from the SCAC to the parking garage, leaning on the bfe's arm to keep me from panicking along that busier path.
Yes, I could have asked the dear physicist to drop me off by the Center's doors, and then to pick me back up again after the show -
but I needed to walk and to prove to myself that I could.
And, it was reassuring to know I could and did, with a little help from my friend.
(smile!)

No comments: