Tuesday, May 17, 2022

gifting science to children near and far

Once upon a time, I was in charge of sharing science with locals and those visiting Savannah during National Chemistry Week.

That seems like forever ago, though it was October 2019.

The pandemic has certainly changed how time is viewed.

I had already retired before that event, so I had time to do it up right - gathering materials from the City of Savannah Water Management team and from the American Chemical Society, test-driving experiments to find those that worked best in the allotted times, getting the right to perform the experiments in Morrell Park downtown, obtaining needed insurance and security for the public event, making sure the event found its way into the press and onto the airwaves, leaning on the boss to get the volunteers to help.

I ended up overgathering, as it turned out.

Better to have too much than not enough, n'est-ce pas?

I managed sharing much of the leftovers with a friend's school, as well as in Christmas packages that year, and had set aside the rest for my church's youth group.

A year ago, the woman in charge of the youth program left.

The leftover chemistry materials and science activity books have been languishing in my living room closet ever since 2019, waiting to find their way into students' hands.

No more!

More than 25 sets of the two activity books, as well as 45 self-inflating balloons for one of the demonstrations, are on their way to Louisville, Georgia, where Ally lives.
That great-niece will be 13 years old on June 2nd.
I know she will be thrilled to share science with her 7th-grade class!
 
Another 25 sets of the two activity books, plus fifty sparkly pencils, as well as the kits and instructions to make uv-detecting armbands, are on their way to Sumiton, Alabama.
That's the home of the niece that shares my birthday of May 29th!
She'll be 10 years old and she loves science.
I'm sure her 4th-grade classmates will much appreciate the fun activities during these last two weeks of school!

That left me with about 40 of the "Saving Savannah's Water" activity books.
I had crammed the medium flat-rate boxes from the Post Office as full as I could get them - and they were so very heavy! - but these books would not fit.
Now what to do?
Then the idea popped into my head: why not give them to Sebi's school?
What a marvelous idea!!!
I even told the school secretary that I had been there recently for my great-nephew's first communion, making them top of mind.
She was thrilled to receive the books!
And I am thrilled to have all of that science into the hands of those who will use it.

With my missions accomplished at the post office and St. James, I even treated myself to a movie!
Hey, it is Tina Tuesday, after all!
(smile!)
Then I bopped over the the CVS in Sandfly.
What to buy with my 40%-off coupon this week?
Well, I needed a new ink cartridge for my printer; did they have it?
Why, yes, yes they did!
Oh, and look at that pretty shower cap!
It's even pink!
Right place, right time... just like at the cinema.
That's where the penny was waiting for me.
(smile!)
i thank You, God!

No comments: