Monday, May 9, 2022

that tree is sooooo gone!

Here it is, dwarfing my house with its massive height and its spindly limbs.
I had arranged for it to be taken down, so I'd snapped this photo on Friday before heading out to my luncheon.
I absolutely had not realized how tall it had grown in the last decade.
It's like with children, right?
Unless you're paying close attention, before you know it you look around and they're head to head with you!
In my mind, this tree was only about thirty feet tall still.
I'd wager this one was at least fifty feet.
I didn't know flowering Bradley pears could attain such dimensions... but this one had, adding much of its height and girth in the last decade.
I hadn't known, but that's a danger sign for this invasive species of trees.
Did I say "invasive"?
I did... and I had not known that until a week or so ago when I found this link about them on facebook.
The trees were brought from Asia to the USA in the early 1900's to beautify the suburban areas that were being built after soldiers returned from WWI.
Why? Because of their pretty white flowers and well-rounded shape.
South Carolina is moving to ban sales of them by 2024 and, right now, they have placed a bounty on their heads.. literally
Georgia has made no such move, but that's okay.
I don't need to plant a new tree there.
I had thought it was throwing shade on my dining room in the afternoons and evenings, but that cooling action is actually from my neighbor's oak tree.
So, for the same price as I paid years ago to remove the little oak too close to the other side of my house, this pear was slated for removal.
 
Today, I returned from an afternoon at the cinema and a shopping trip to the CVS on Wilmington Island to find the pear is gone!
Well, there's still this two-foot stump, which I may leave to mark the spot; I haven't decided yet.
As I told the tree surgeon and his helper, I want to decide over coffee in the morning, after I've looked out the window and don't see it.
Maybe I'll have it ground down or perhaps it will become a holder for a planter.
Who knows?
But there will be no poem to mark its demise, nor a photo series of its removal.
Amazingly, that was done in just under three hours!
So, I missed it, but that's okay.
I'm going to enjoy that extra sunshine!
(smile!)

1 comment:

faustina said...

The branches and other tree bits stayed on my front yard until Thursday.
Yes, this past Thursday, 26 May.
That's when the City of Savannah finally deigned to pick up yard waste in my neighborhood.
They're supposed to come every Wednesday...
but it's more like once a month.
Good thing my neighbor - you know, the one with the City's complaint number on speed dial - called them on that.
Still, it was a week after her call before they came around.
Thanks, Diane Sullivan.
Good to have that done before my bday64!