Tuesday, August 30, 2022

off to a new home

"Say what? You're going to move to Daytona, after all these years?"
 
Hey, I gotta admit, I have been thinking along those lines, even though packing up a house is a major pain.
At least I would have one less piece of furniture to deal with now.
 
"I thought you had already done away with nearly everything not being used."
 

And so I had, save for one item with sentimental attachments: Mama's sewing machine.
I kept telling myself that I was going to use it.
I really did.
But, I never sewed the first stitch with it.
I had put the machine in place, at one point, and had even threaded it.
I had thought that if I had it up and ready for action, I'd go for it.
Nope, never happened.
It became a mere desk, a surface upon which to put stuff.
I had asked around, trying to interest my first niece or her mom, but to no avail.
All those theatre groups I know?
Some of those costumes are designed and sewed for specific shows.
Certainly they had a seamstress that would make use of this fine machine?
No, they appreciated my offer, but they already had sewing machines.
Fine.
I would just keep it until something came up...
and, yesterday, something did.
The church has adopted an Afghani refugee family in the "First Friends" program.
In the September newsletter was a list of items the Abasy family needed.
And there, midway down the list, was "sewing machine".
Right place, right time.
I had contacted Asbury Memorial's Assistant Minister, Claire Marich, to say that I had that very item and would need help moving it.
She and her husband just left with the sewing machine.
Mrs. Abasy will be able to make her curtains now, as well as clothes for her family.
I know Mama would approve.
As for me, I'm going to miss its presence...
but I'm thankful that it will no longer be idle.

No comments: