Saturday, August 20, 2022

company from Guyton, in my house!

One of the good things about misdirected mail coming to my house?
It sometimes will cause a retrieval mission to venture to Savannah!
Hooray!
 
I had alerted my nephew, Michael, that I had two pieces from a life insurance company, addressed to him.
As it turned out, those were not just statements, but invoices!
That's what he discovered when he came to see me today...
with his lovely daughters!
And they stayed for almost three hours!
At my house!
What a treat!
The girls are in first grade this year, so of course I talked to them about school.
Alyssa, in the flowered dress, told me that reading was her favorite subject.
Very nice!
I told her I had always loved reading.
(I had also intended to take classes at Armstrong once I turned 62, as I would not have to pay tuition.
I wanted to take more literature classes.
I have yet to even look at university offerings since the pandemic began.)
And what about Leila?
 
She loves math!
Well, how about that!
I like math, too, especially when I get to make graphs with data and do some analysis.
(I just may have to start doing that again.
Right now, the CDC is doing the graphing, which shows that this summer was the same as last summer in here in the USA, in terms of new COVID cases.
Imagine that.)
She asked me about the two rhinoceros beetles in the plastic case by my front door...
so I gave them to her!
She is going to give them to her teacher!
I told her about finding the male outside the cinema after a big storm, and that I'd taken it to a biology professor at Armstrong to have it officially named.
That teacher had the female of the species already, so she gave it to me.
Nice, right?
And I've had it the pair for... hmmm... at least seven years.
(And just how do I know that?
For starters, it was Christina's ex, Jason, who had spotted the beetle on the sidewalk when he'd stepped off to have a cigarette.
I think we'd been able to go to the movie together because they had a lull in the foster content of their household.
Their divorce was in the summer of 2016, so the horned beetle was before that.
Also, Armstrong's loss of identity began that first semester of 2017, when it was merged with the Statesboro school.
I didn't do much bopping between the second (chemistry) and first (biology) floor much that year or the next (which would turn out to be the last that I was teaching). 
Good Lord, I must be conversing with Barbara too much - I drift off topic into tangents almost as much as she does!
Hahahaha! Hahaha!)

Leila was delighted to have the two insects to share at school!
I was delighted to have the beetles finally find somewhere else to be!
Alyssa was delighted that they were dead and trapped in the plastic case!
And Michael was delighted that his girls were delighted!
(smile!)
 
And, no, Leila's teacher is not Alyssa's.
The two girls are in different classes, just as they were last year for kindergarten.
How fabulous!
As I told them, I'm so glad the school policy is to split twins, so each child has the opportunity to develop their own personality and way of thinking.
Leila told me that they are not the only twins in their classes; there are actually two more sets of twins in first grade there!
Wow!
And they're all split, too, so each kid can develop independently of the other.
I don't remember ever having more than one set of twins at any school I ever attended.
I wonder if they're simply more prevalent...
or I was simply not paying enough attention?
Who knows!
And there I go, off track... lol!

The girls weren't the only ones leaving with something.
I gave Michael the set of clothes that had belonged to his Dad.
I told him that Ronnie had left a lot of his belongings with me, in my shed, when he had moved out of his last apartment and into a tent in the woods.
After a couple of years, I'd culled through the clothes and selected a nice button-down shirt with long sleeves, a nice pair of dress slacks, good socks, and a nice belt.
I'd washed the clothes, then hung them in a closet to await use.
They have probably been in that closet for close to ten years.
(I can put that estimate on there because Ronnie was living in that tiny house off Skidaway when the physicist came into my life, prompting my trip to The Field Of Dreams.
That was all part of my Midwest Adventure of 2012.
Anywho, the bfe had occasion to meet Ronnie when we all ended up having dinner together at a Mexican restaurant near that end of Skidaway.
That was maybe in March or April of that same year.
Ah, good times, good times.)

Michael had taken the clothes to his car almost immediately.
I'm glad they were important to him.
We talked about his school - that's all done, at last! - and his job - he has an apprentice that he's teaching the electrical trade to! - and his plans to move out of his mom's house soon.
I know that would be good, for him and the girls, but also for Melinda and Matt.
They're of an age that having little ones around 24/7 is quite energy-draining.
I certainly have a new understanding of just how much after my girls' trip!
How on Earth have they managed to all live together for this long??
Michael understands that it's time to move on.
He's looking at renting, but I told him he'll be better off buying.
Rents are crazy high.
I think he'll be ready for his own place by October 6th.
That's the court date set for his divorce.
I'm going to try to stay more in touch between now and then.
I know he needs the support.

I'm so glad they came for a visit!
What a blessing for all of us!
i thank You, God.

No comments: