Tuesday, August 2, 2022

that ain't no pink chicken, Jethro

Granny had sent him outside to fetch a chicken for her to cook.
There weren't any, of course.
Not in Beverly Hills, Cal-i-for-ni-a.
But, somehow, there by the 'cement pond', was a flamingo, a bird the young man had never seen.
It sure looked like a long-legged, big-winged, pink chicken to him!
Ellie Mae even called dibs on the drumsticks!
And Granny was trying to light a wood fire in the electric stove!
And thus the comedy to those of us watching "Beverly Hillbillies"!
Those country folk sure didn't know anything about city life, did they?
All of us commiserated with Jane Hathaway when she thought the people she'd found in the mansion, with their ratty clothes and odd accent, must have been the maid, the chauffeur, the cook, and the gardener...
then we commiserated with her chagrin at discovering that the foursome were the millionaire Clampetts, whose money was bolstering the bank where she worked.
Ah, perception!
Like everyone else the family would encounter, the assumption was that these newcomers were from a home with a television - a device to show them the rest of the world and the lifestyle they should ascribe to, the material goods they should desire, the culture and mannerisms they should employ.
I get hit with a similar assumption all the time.
Folks assume that since they have a smart phone, everyone does.
I get looks of incredulity when I whip out my flip phone, like I'm still communicating with smoke signals or cave drawings.
The latest instance was at the Jepson Center For The Arts this past weekend.
I brought out my driver's license as identification, explaining to the clerk that I was a member, but had not yet received my member card.
"Oh, those are on the app now," she told me.
"But I don't have a smart phone," I replied, showing her my Alcotel model.
She looked at me for a moment like I'd grown a third arm, then she used her computer to verify my membership and wished me a happy day.
By the way, this was not some millenial giving me this reaction.
I'd be willing to lay odds that she was my age, if not older.
Sheesh.
I wish Callie had been there, as she always greets me by name.
It's nice to go somewhere they know your name... right?
"Hi, Miss Faustina!"
That's what I get at both of the local AMC theatres.
Very nice!
(smile!)
Anyway, that talk of chickens this morning as I watched the old favorite on Up Faith & Family gave me a decided hankering for chicken.
Specifically, I wanted that fried chicken at Cracker Barrel - so very tasty!
Having a bday64 gift card for that fine establishment, off I went for a birthday slunch about 3 PM...
and I finished off the rest of the four-piece for dinner just a few minutes ago!
Chickens, chickens, chickens!
Not a single one of them pink, either.
(smile!)

1 comment:

faustina said...

My phone is not an Alc-o-tel.
As far as I know, there's no such brand.

My little phone is an Alcatel GO Flip 3.

It's of French origin, fashioned in 2019.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRQ_Z9TiRRs

So, there ya go.

(smile!)