Wednesday, August 3, 2022

nope, nope, and nope

"Somebody pushing your buttons, dearie?"
 
Nope! Certainly not today. I've booked myself a getaway and the world looks brighter!
 
"Hey, good for you! I bet you're enjoying this cool down, too, after the thunderstorm."
 
I sure am! I had windows and doors opened wide to let in the sweet air!
 
"So, what brings you around these here parts this evening?"
 
Well, I haven't talked about A*List movies lately, so I reckon I'm gonna rectify that.
 
"You been watching Westerns??? What's up with that accent?"
 
Not just that kind of movie, but one from South Carolina and 'nother from Texas. I'll start with two weeks ago, when I saw these three. The first two were new to town, but that last one I've seen a time or three.
 
"Yeah, I agree, 'Lightyear' is definitely worth several viewings."
 
To tell the truth, I needed something positive after "Where The Crawdads Sing". That was centered on a girl who'd been abandoned by her family and her town, forced to live in the marshes of Carolina with only nature for company. Then someone dies out there, and of course she's the one they come after. Good thing it had David Straitharn in it to give it some heart. I guess I could have gone to "The Legend Of Hank: Paws Of Fury" again, but Buzz was finally leaving the cinema, so he won out. Still, I most def will be seeing that 'mother father cocker spaniel' Hank movie again, if only to cheer on that lone dog in a world of cats!
 
"That sounds like it's kin to "Isle Of Dogs"!!! How very cool!"
 
 
"I do so love that song! Now, how about your next A*List dance card?"
 
Well, the thing is, here's the thing: I forgot to take the photo of that trio. But the post title just about sums it up. I saw "Nope" on the Friday before dog-sitting, loved it so much I talked it up to Carolyn and Barbara such that I saw it with them in BigD that following Wednesday, and then I took a break into the 1970's, as I mentioned here.
 
"I see. So 'Nope' is a Western?"
 
Nope. (smile!) It's pure science fiction, set in the modern west! Jordan Peele has really hit his stride with this one!
 
"Wait a minute. I thought that was billed as a horror flick..."
 
... by people who don't understand what science fiction is. That's a shame, too. I'd be willing to bet good money that horror fans don't like this one at all. I loved it! Not only is a good story, with a beautiful and sad backdrop, but Daniel Kaluuya is magnificent on horseback! Most def good fodder for sweet dreams...
 
"Yes, dear. Nice to see you're noticing things like that."
 
Oh, you betcha I am! My percolator seems to be percolating these days! Then again, there's pollen in the air, and that floating sperm always seems to kick up the libido of all who inhale. You ever notice that?
 
"Sure, but you've wandered off the path. Don't step on any butterflies!"
 
Don't what? Oh, that was a SciFi reference! Good one!
 
"Could we hurry along, please? I do have other things to do, ya know."
 
Yeah, yeah. Okay, here's this week's haul of A*List movies. Again, the first two movies are new to town, then there's the third "Nope" I was talking about.  Funny thing about that. The alien bore a resemblance to the 'lights and mirrors' works of Chul-Hyu Ahn's art in the Jepson's PULSE exhibit. Strange that I didn't think of that when I was at the museum on Sunday.
 
"How did you like the new Pets flick?"
 
Not as much as I had hoped. "DC League Of Super Pets" was quite derivative and borrowed heavily from other recent animated films. I doubt I'll watch it again.
 
"Ouch. Sorry to hear that."
 
Hey, they can't all be Minions or Bad Guys, right? At least the other new one, "Vengeance", was superb and I was glad to have seen it. Carolyn watched with me and we both came out of the cinema talking about it and kept on for twenty minutes in the parking lot. Set in Texas, it's a good, hard, look at today's America, with so many wanting to point a finger at a conspiracy theory instead of look into their mirror. And, get this: Ashton Kutcher has the best role of his life in this movie. Honestly, I didn't recognize him at first. Gone is the doofus; he's definitely a 44-year-old man in this one. Best role of his life.
 
"Really? I mean, he was adorable in 'That 70's Show', though maybe not so much during his stint in 'Two And A Half Men'. He couldn't seem to find his character in that post-Charlie scenario, and Jake was off in the Army."
 
Yeah, and by that time, Alan was just a caricature of his original self. I don't even bother to watch those when they're rerun late at night.
 
"So, we're done here?"
 
That we are! Bye!

No comments: