Friday, February 16, 2024

beware of 6-year-olds playing checkers!


"I don't know. Checkers seems like a fairly safe game, especially against a little kid." 

You'd think so, right? But I very nearly got my butt handed to me by one today!

"Wait a minute! Is she getting coached by her mom?? We all know that first niece of yours plays for keeps, so that's why you were in trouble."

Trust me, Miyah was doing quite well on her own. There was one time early on in the game that I realized I just might lose. At checkers!!!

"Girlfriend, that would have been a shame."

Don't I know it! In my defense, it's been many years, like, maybe even decades, since I played it. Not that the time lapse really matters. I never was much good at looking more than a move or two in the future. You have to have a strategy, and that's not me.

"I know, you play a game just to play the game. Sounds like littlest girl plays to win, like her mom does."

Exactly. Christina told me that Miyah is fabulous at chess and even beat her teacher!

"She is already playing chess??? Wow. Now, that's impressive."

I think it must tap into that part of her brain that is always in motion.

"Perhaps so. How was it that y'all were together today? Was that at Cracker Barrel?"

It was! Christina was off, so we three girls had a luncheon together. Christina was telling me about her new job, and one of the perks is this: she had today and Monday off for President's Day, and she even got paid for them!

"Good for her! That's over at the Waldo school?"

No, she's at Miyah's school. The principal there had her apply and she got the same exact job she would have had at Waldo, working with Special Education, but with a truly incredible twist. Get this: no lesson plans, no reports, no paperwork. And she gets all the same paid days off as the teachers but doesn't have to be there on planning days!

"Very sweet deal!!! Wow!"

Right?!! I asked her what the downside was and she said she hasn't found one yet. 

"Wow! Good for her!!!"

Right?! Good for me, too. She bought my lunch today! Such a nice treat!

"Oh, sweet! Like a belated Valentine!"

Yes, indeedy! I ate the shrimp and all the veggies and hush puppies. I have the fish, one of the corn muffins, and a biscuit for dinner tonight. So, my first niece bought me two meals!

"Oh, yes, fish on Fridays during Lent. Such a good deal for you!"

It gets better, too. She and both girls will be back in town Monday for a doc appointment, so we've already made plans to meet for breakfast and a play date. It's early o'clock in the morning, but I'll plan ahead. 

"There ya go! What a great way to start the week!"

Thanks! And maybe we'll watch a movie here... or play at Oglethorpe Mall... fun!

(smile!)

No comments: