Thursday, February 8, 2024

dinner and talk from a photographer

Amazingly, I know this 72-year-old guy!
Frank Stewart has been a photographer for the Savannah Music Festival, as well as other events at the Lucas and Trustees Theatres, for maybe two decades, so I'd see him shooting those happenings any time I was ushering those venues.
Here's the thing: I only knew him as "Frank".
I still hadn't put it together until I saw him on the stage at the Jepson tonight.
He and Fred Moten, a 61-year-old poet with the 2020 MacArthur Grant, were having a conversation about art and poems and photographs, sitting not twenty feet from me, and I suddenly realized just how I knew him.
Wow!
Moreover, that's when I realized he was black, too, just like the poet.
I'd always taken Frank to be Italian or Greek from his coloring and features.
Wow.
That meant this event was also part of the SBHF35, like last night's theatre.
I'm also going to include my foray out to the Pin Point Museum in the festival lineup, too.
That makes three events already for Savannah Black Heritage Month!
Very nice!
I'm so glad I was there, as a member of the Telfair family of museums.
That meant the reception and talk, which had a ticket price of $20, was free for me.
I do so enjoy that word: free!

Here's the first course from this evening's repast: 
shrimp salad on toasted ciabatta.
The rosemary sprig helped give it a bit more flavor.
(Don't tell the Wildwood Cafe, but I much prefer the
 
Mild as it was, I still ate four servings - lovely bread!
 
The second course was a bit messier:
chicken satay lettuce wraps.
However, they were absolutely delicious!
The peanut sauce was perfectly made,
with crunch still in the nuts.
 
I even taught the older woman at the table 
how to hold them to minimize drips...
and I helped myself to three servings!!!
 
The third, and final, course was compact:
mushroom risotto balls.
They had been injected with Korean bbq sauce -
oh, so very tasty!!!
 
Once the other two ladies got my vote of approval,
they made sure to hit up that tray on every trip,
just as I did...
all four times!!!
 
Such a delectable supper we all had!
I'm glad I had grabbed a table and shared it
with these two recent transplants to 
this beautiful seaport.
I hope we'll all see each other again at the Jepson!
None of us stayed after the talk to peruse the exhibit, "Nexus".
We all like to read those placards by each item,
and thirty minutes was simply not enough time for that.
Nope!
(smile!)

1 comment:

faustina said...

I did go up to speak with Frank Stewart afterward, to let him know that I was a volunteer usher at the Savannah Music Festival and had seen him at so many of those events.
His reaction was pretty much as it always has been to my greetings to him at those events: a brief nod of the head, and then he was off to elsewhere.
At least he's consistent!
Lol!