Saturday, February 17, 2024

two firsts, with bbq and a bunny

Here's the barbeque featured at this luncheon, as well as a nice spinach salad, coleslaw, toasted bread, and some of the best baked beans I've ever had.
 
This is in the foyer of the Two Firsts Post on Montgomery Street.
 
The item on the wall is the Preamble of the Constitution of the American Legion, part of every meeting held there, including the one we in Post 36 held two days ago.
 
That's when I found out about this fundraising event today and was encouraged to attend.
 
Here's Bunny Ware, interviewing Post 500's commander, James Putney, for a community interest spot on the evening news on WSAV.
 
He spoke about 36 being the first American Legion Post in Savannah and 500 being the first African American Post in this seaport; hence, the club's name of Two Firsts.
 
He spoke of the club's need for flooring, ceiling tiles, and electrical work in order for it to open for use by the soldiers Hunter Army Air Base, which is without an NCO club.

He had to do it over a couple of times because of the rules imposed by the networks; namely, no direct request for funds and no thanking those who have donated.

That was all news to me.
(A little pun there!)
 
Oh, and see that wall on the left?
It wasn't there on Thursday night.
The men of Post 500 erected the temporary structure to hide the hot mess of old furniture and debris on the other side of it.
I made sure to congratulate them on such a good job!

Speaking of me, there I am!
 
Bunny (you didn't think I meant an actual rabbit, did you?) snapped it just as we were clearing the tables and wrapping things up.
 
As shown, Post 500 had a very nice turnout.
 
I'm glad I had dressed nicely and taken some time with my hair.
 
The gentleman beside me is named General and we had a nice chat, as I also did with the ladies pictured here, though I didn't catch their names.

Why were we all almost laughing?

Bunny had said for us to "look like you're having a good time" - LOL!
 
I know it looks like I was the only representative of Post 36, but Clark Nunias and Billy Cope were there early on.
 
I also met Rebecca of SA Recycling, who presented a check for $1000 at the event.
 
I'll be glad when this is finally open.
 
The bar area i going to be quite lovely when the wood here gets varnished and the floor gets painted.
 
I think we may have decided on Thursday to go for a tan color that will match the parquet wood laminate designated for the dance floor.
 
Progress, slow but steady!

No comments: