Wednesday, February 7, 2024

bright star on boomers in a bar!

How wonderful to see Jackie Frant again!
As I told her, I don't think we've seen each other since the Melaness was in town.
but nothing beats a hug in person!
She had posted this Boomers Meetup event a few days ago, saying we could "piggyback on the Maritime After Hours gang again" as they would be at Cohen's Retreat.
As that's just down from me, I was sorely tempted to go there... but I had an event already at 7 pm on the 7th... so, I rsvp'd today!
I'm so glad I went!
There were just four of us, including Lisa and Dorothy, so that kept it lively, especially as Jackie was the greeter for the Savannah Maritime Association event.
I met so many people!!!

However, after about 75 minutes - i.e., about 6:30 - I had to head for the Savannah Children's Theatre, not for one of their plays but for an event brought by the 35th Annual Savannah Black Heritage Festival!
I had noticed that the Bright Star Touring Theatre was in town again, with their public show at my favorite midtown venue.
Yes, I definitely would be there!!!
The two-man production of "Black History Heroes, Soldiers, and Spies" was very lively, with lots of minimal costume changes - a hat here, an apron there, a wig next - that Savannah Stage Company would have been delighted by!
The audience may not have been large, but we were certainly vocal, and ran the gamut from grade-school age to septuagenarian or more.
The cast was one black man and one white man, each taking on multiple roles in skit after skit, as they raced from one to another.
"Chief" C. Alfred Anderson's flight with First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt in 1941 that led to the Tuskegee Airmen being allowed to fly during WWII!!!
Reverend Oliver Brown's court battle with the Topeka Board of Education in 1952 to allow his daughter to attend school with her non-black friends!
Charles Young, born as a slave but raised as a free man in Ohio, following his father to be a Buffalo Soldier - fierce and stubborn, with curly, kinky hair like bison, according Native Americans - who went to West Point and retired as the first black General!
Mary Elizabeth Bowser's work as a spy for the Union during the Civil War, while she served as a maid for the Confederate President, Jefferson Davis!
Plus, skits with Martin Luther King, Jr., Frederick Douglass, Harriet Tubman, and more!
Such an entertaining, and educational, hour of fun!
My thanks to the City of Savannah for this program!

No comments: