Wednesday, February 21, 2024

too young, i was, for an abzug

 
I was just starting middle school - that would be 7th grade - when 50-year-old Bella Abzug was elected as a New York Representative to the US Congress in 1970.
I was far too young to care about politics, much less those in a northeastern state. 
However, I'm sure Mama was paying attention to the changes in the air.
After watching the documentary, I very much wished I could discuss it with her.
So many changes while I was in high school, thanks to Abzug.
Equal pay for equal work, regardless of gender, was one of those changes.
Equal rights for all, regardless of race, was another.
Equal rights for all, regardless of sexual identity, was yet another.
Bella Abzug was fighting for all of it, and doing so loudly...
and doing so while wearing feminine hats, to accentuate that she was a woman.
 

The woman hosting this first event, from a group called Hadassah, also wore a hat.
Hers was a striking red one, very nice, and she made sure to greet everyone there.
Everyone.
That was a lot of people.
Apparently, many were interested in this inaugural film, "Bella! This Woman's Place Is In The House", of the Savannah Jewish Cultural Arts Festival.
I was familiar with the followup slogan Bella Abzug used when she ran for a different seat: "This woman's place is in the House... and in the Senate!"
I was just graduated from high school, in 1976, and had many debates with my Grandpa about women's rights and LGBT rights and civil rights.
Sadly, that campaign didn't pan out for her and led to a hiatus from politics for a while, as she had to relinquish being in the House of Representatives to run for the other position.
 

Many attendees were also interested in the special guest tonight.
The blonde on the right is Jill E. Steinberg, recently of the US Department of Justice.
She is now the US Attorney for the Southern District of Georgia.
What I most enjoyed was her explanation of the duties she has, with her emphasizing that her position is not tied to any political party, but to the federal government.
I also loved that she kept her discussion free of complicated jargon.
Very nice, very straighforward, just as I was with my students.
 
I was fortunate to be able to have a meal here this evening.
I knew there would be a reception for opening night of the SJCAF, and I planned to have dinner after all was done.
No need for that!
The tables were loaded down with trays of vegetables...
with bowls of tomato-studded tabouli...
with bowls of parsley-decked hummus...
and plates of toasted pita triangles to scoop it up!
I had two heaping helpings and was generous with praise!
But was that all?
I heard several people complain of the lack of sweets usually at these free receptions.
No need for alarm!
The apple strudel and biscotti, as well as coffee and tea, were in the auditorium, awaiting our pleasure!
And we were free to eat it in there, too!
Yes, I said "free" yet again, to emphasize that all the events at this year's SJCAF are free - what a blessing!
i thank You, God!

No comments: