Sunday, February 4, 2024

c-o-m-m-u-

t-e-d
 
commuted
 
I actually traveled to church today, rather than view it on youTube, if at all.
 
While it's true that the weather has been a little better this Sunday than any of those in January, I have to admit that I've mostly been a bit slack about attendance, whether live or by video.
 
Plus, my finances have been a bit twisted, so I wouldn't have been able to fulfill my pledge... but, that's still just another excuse.
 
n-i-o-n
 
communion
 
This little hourglass of "wine" and "bread" was partly responsible for me commuting to Asbury Memorial this morning.
 
We've returned to this form of Holy Communion, as COVID is back in town and hittin' people up.
 
Christina had it three weeks ago for over a week; Tony had it this past week.
 
Neither of them had the recent booster.
 
n-i-n-g and n-i-c-a-t-i-n-g
 
communing and communicating
 
As this was the first Sunday of February, that meant the BIG Coffee Hour would follow the service.
 
That meant free luncheon!
 
Chili, deviled eggs, lemon meringue pie, chicken fingers, chips and salsa, and more!
 
As for conversation, I had several chats with folks.
 
Pam Rhodes encouraged me to go visit the fine women over at the Red Cross center, after I spoke with her about missing my days as a VIP donor.
 
Preston Hodges talked of his recent surgery being his first to have bones fused.
I told him I'd never had one of those, but I've had several to evict body parts that had gotten "cantankerous" - gall bladder, uterus, carpal tunnel ligament.
 
When I asked Carol Klein how she was, she said "fine physically, but not so well mentally".
I suggested she stop watching the news and listen to music instead. As I told her, I've used music as therapy for most of my life.
I'll check on her in a few days and see how she's doing, what music she's using.
 
Then there's Dan, with whom I spent the most time, as we shared a table. He's in the choir, he's been a widower for six years, and he's part of the choir. Oh, and he has a broken left elbow with a convoluted "bionic" cast.
That's why he ended up standing at the Blood Donation table with me.
I think that was a good thing for both of us.
 
Now, I'm home from the Purple Planet and ready for a movie.
I had hoped Tubi still had "Community Theater Christmas" -
as that would be in keeping with my root-word theme -
but that's not in rotation right now.
I think "Crazy For Christmas", with a 65-year-old Howard Hesseman, will do quite nicely.
It's from 2005 and has him as a wealthy eccentric, interacting with a young single mother and a news reporter in the same vein as the star of "Bruce Almighty".
(smile!)

2 comments:

faustina said...

What was the sermon about?
"Silence and Solitude" - two things I can relate to!
Not that Rev. Billy talked about that stuff much.
(smile!)

I very much liked the quote on the cover of the program.

"Solitude is like oxygen for me, it's a must. I love connecting with people, but I love reconnecting with myself even more. Getting back in flow with my own rhythm, my true and authentic self without anyone else's energy influencing me. It's never personal, it's self care."
- Shams Tabrizi, a Persian poet in the 12th century

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shams_Tabrizi

faustina said...

Fun fact: Howard Hesseman was once a real DeeJay, adding a slice of realism to his portrayal of Dr. Johnny Fever on "WKRP In Cincinnati".

He died in 2022, from colon cancer, a month shy of his 82nd birthday.

The holiday movie was a delight to watch and I highly recommend it.