Monday, March 4, 2024

65th birthday party, with cake and chem nerds!

I hadn't realized the Coastal Georgia Section 
of the American Chemical Society 
came into existence the same year I did.
Pretty cool...
and now I have this cool Koozie as a memento!
(smile!)
Its birthday65 party - 
or anniversary party, 
depending on one's perspective -
was held out in Pooler - 
as that's roughly a midway point 
for folks in Savannah and Statesboro -
at Sam Snead's Tavern,
out by the airport.
So, what kind of shenanigans
might be expected
at such a party?
Student presentations, of course!
Hey, this -is- a group of chemistry nerds,
remember?
There were three such talks, but this guy -
named David or Davis -
and done completely remotely -
was my favorite!
He kept picking up things in the room -
a desk phone, a desk chair,
the fire extinguisher! - to keep our attention.
What a grand sense of humor!
(smile!)

I decided early on that this grand dinner would serve as my "farewell and happy retirement" party, too!
After all, some of my favorite people were right there with me tonight!
Cliff and Lea Padgett were sitting a table over, with Mitch Weiland and Will Lynch.
(Get this: Will even gave me a hug! Surprise!) 
Brent Feske was at my table, most of the time, but kept roving.
However, the ones I usually enjoy are in the photograph collage.
There's Yvonne Roach to my left, talking to a student who doesn't eat vegetables.
Across the table was Brandon Quillian, fellow USN veteran and topped with his usual tam.
And right beside me was Jim Lobue, with Cathy MacGowan close at hand.
Retirement was certainly a hot topic, with both Yvonne and Cathy doing that this summer.
Jim retired last year, so Cathy was talking to him about that.
I encouraged them to set a schedule of things they like to do, and to try to arrange events for when they would have been busy with the job, so they can keep a pattern.
Hope they'll enjoy being retired as much as I have!
(smile!)
All the good times were just with the conversation, though.
The whole shebang was gratis!!!
Remember that 2019 SERMACS that I helped bring to a rousing success?
Well, the section made a heap of money off that.
Part of the largess was used to fund Summer Undergraduate Research the past few years, culminating in the three talks this evening.
Very nice!
Some of that bounty was also used to purchase all of our dinners - and desserts! - as well as beverages of choice.

We could choose fish, steak, chicken, shrimp, or even vegetarian plates.
I went with the Catch of the Day, and was rewarded with the chef's choice of grilled grouper a la bruschetta topping!
My, oh, my, that fish was delicious!!!
As well as the rice pilaf - drizzled with balsamic glaze! - came broccoli and a salad.
I left only a mouthful of rice, and the lemon rinds, on that plate! 

And then...
the grand finale!
The menu called it simply
"Lemon Cake"
but it was certainly more than that!
Luscious moist blueberries 
bedecked both slices
with a creamy lemon curd
that melted in the mouth!
Marvelous!
My thanks for the group for this gift
of dinner with boon companions!
It's been a pleasure seeing all again!
(smile!)

1 comment:

faustina said...

Did I mention that this was a 35-mile trip for me?
That's there and home again, of course.
That's better than I'd thought, even with the "lost at the airport" side trip when I missed a turn in the dark.
Just one more week -
or is it two? -
before we "spring forward" in time.
I can hardly wait!