Sunday, March 17, 2024

40th anniversary of being a veteran

It occurred to me earlier this year that March 16th would mark the 40th anniversary of the last day that I was active duty military in the United States Navy.
Actually, it was around March 4th, the 16th birthday of my nephew, Conner.
I sent him a gift card to McDonald's, one of his favorite places.
When he texted back his thanks, I started a textversation.
 
me: Remember, you have to eat some French fries for me!
him: "Alright."
me: When I was in the Navy and stationed in Pensacola, there was a McDonald's right outside the front gate. I would go there almost every night just to order fries.
him: "When were you in the Navy??"
me: From '76 until '84. I enlisted in March of my senior year of high school.
him: "How was the Navy?"
me: The slogan at the time was: It's not just a job, it's an adventure! That was true!! Plus, I was always near a beach. That was excellent! I loved all the travel, too! And I still get benefits as a veteran, with health care. They helped pay for college, too.


So many blessings for me, thanks to the decision of my 17-year-old self...
and the permission of Mama, as I was not yet an adult in the eyes of the law.
Wow.
I still had this voucher that I'd received on Veterans Day.
Elvis of the kitchen cabinet marked it to honor this anniversary.
Then I got sick earlier this week, with me still coughing yesterday.
That turned out to be for the best.
 

The delay allowed me to change my perspective to something more positive.
Today, feeling well again, I headed out to Texas Roadhouse to cash in the voucher.
I was celebrating the 40th anniversary of the day I became a veteran...
how's that for a good vibration?
(smile!)
My upbeat mood must have been part of the reason why David was so good to me.
He was my server, and he not only timed the courses beautifully, he gave me extra!
 

Along with my juicy, grilled pork chop, house salad, and steak fries, I got dessert!
I know, it looks like a little brownie with whipped cream, but...
it sure is special to me.
Thanks, David!
Thanks for the extra rolls, too, fresh and hot, for my to-go order.
 

Yes, knowing I didn't have cash, I ordered two kids meals for later.
Each have grilled chicken, along with green beans for one, fries for the other.
Thanks to David, that will make two very nice meals for me!
What a wonderful way to extend the celebration of this anniversary!
 

Now, I'm home and have Ray Stevens to entertain me...
what fabulous timing!
First he had the Riders In The Sky band and now he's doing a tune from my youth: "Running Bear", a Native American "Romeo and Juliet" tale!
Pardon me while I sing along!

No comments: