Saturday, March 9, 2024

balloons! swans! beautiful!

Right place, right time!
I had intended to go to the newest production at the Savannah Children's Theatre last night, but the family fiesta ran long, which was a good thing.
That meant that I got to see the matinee of "Honk: A Musical Tale Of The Ugly Duckling" today...
with the Amazing Balloon Man, Bruce Carr...
who had played "Ugly" twenty years ago...
in SavChTh's very first show ever.
Wow!
So, I was there to talk with him before the show...
to say how much the colors of the balloons he was using reminded me of Easter...
and for him to thank me for noticing...
as that had been his intent!
Wow!
And I was there to tell him how much the wall of blue balloons of various hue resembled the lattice structure of a salt crystal...
and he thanked me again, saying how incredible it was that I had seen that in his art...
and I mentioned that I was an analytical chemist, and he found that incredible, too.
Wow!
Here he is, at the table full of balloon ducks and swans that he crafted as giveaways after the musical.
The young man in the white tux is the gorgeous, elegant swan that "Ugly" transformed into - nice!
I thought it rather fortuitous that I captured the former "Ugly" and the current "Ugly" in one photo -
pure serendipity!
Right place, right time
I have to wonder what Bruce would have thought about this.
I bought my show ticket last night, but I had this in my cartoons this morning.
"I Love To Singa" featured a jazz-singing Owl Johnson (nice pun!) hatched into a family of classical birds - an ugly owlet!
They had kicked him out, but came around when he won a music contest.
That prepped me well for the musical!
(smile!)
I had planned on another musical tomorrow, but I have plans with my first niece instead - hooray!
That pushed me out the door tonight and downtown, as I would have no other chance to see "Beautiful: The Carole King Musical".
This weekend was the only time that SCAD would have performances, all at the Lucas Theatre.
Ah, yes, a favorite singer from my youth, with her songs gracing my favorite venue!!!
I wish I could have met with the cast afterward and told them how tiny the woman really was!
Meeting her in 2004 had been momentous for me!
Hearing her music tonight, looping around the story of her life being played out on the stage, was wonderful, even though it was not a musical.
Like "Once", this was a play with concert interludes.
No one "burst into song" here...
the songs were mostly sung by the musical groups for whom they had been written.
And that was wonderful, for sure!
 
But I think my favorite parts of the play were at the beginning, when it was just her and the piano in the spotlight, while she sang "So Far Away"...
and the last song of the play, with her singing "Beautiful", one of my go-to karaoke tunes.
Oh, and this post-curtain bow number: "I Feel The Earth Move", which I will forever see her doing on the tiny stage at the Sentient Bean on a cold February night in 2004.
(smile!)

No comments: