Thursday, March 28, 2024

the fiddler saw me dancing to her music!

Hooray, I am again a volunteer at the Savannah Music Festival!!!

This was the official first day of SMF35, and I was playing bouncer at the VIP Donor Lounge, along with Ed, at the Metal Building at Trustees Garden.

Once the noon30 began, though, inside we went!

I was perched at the top of the staircase and found myself dancing to the playful tunes of the Swedish trio... and then I noticed that she saw me!

That's her, Lena Jonsson, the woman in red in the center, the songwriter and fiddler and namesake of the group.

On the left of the stage is Kris and on the right, wearing a jaunty hat, is Ian.

She would engage them in conversation from time to time, but mostly she spoke to the audience, sharing stories about how some of the tunes came to be written.

"Plats 14" was one of my favorites!

It was written while on hold with her bank, when she started out as Caller 30, giving her time to make coffee and play a bit on her fiddle.

By the time she was Caller 20, she was writing a song inspired by the experience, completing the tune by the time she was... Caller 14.

Very amusing tale, and easy to relate to as well!

There was another one about first snow on a cold day, when the powdery stuff crunches underfoot and sparkles in the sunlight - I remember snow like that, from my trip to the ski lodge in Montreal, back in February of 1981... very nice imagery!

Then came "Antilopen", played for a group of elementary kids, with her making the mistake of letting the kids shout out when the antelope (her) and the lion (Kris) were after each other - that was absolutely hilarious!!!

What a wonderful way to begin the SMF!!!

No comments: