Sunday, March 3, 2024

18 miles - my odometer says so

This was the reading when I when I left home: 
233 333.
I had been trying for a palindrome, but I missed it "by t-h-a-t much", as Maxwell Smart would have said.
(smile!)
I went straight from home to Asbury Memorial Church.
I thought I was late, but I had just sat down when "Blest Are They" welcomed me.
"Rejoice and be glad!
Blessed are you,
Holy are you.
Rejoice and be glad!"
Right place, right time!
Reverend Billy gave us a sermon that tied right in with the message from "Leap Year": "What Is Most Important?"
In the movie, the woman had been asked what she would grab if her house was on fire.
Good message in both.
But this is one of the reasons I came today.
As this was the first Sunday of the month, I knew we would have Communion... but which form?
With much gratitude, I found we were again using the little hourglass-shaped containers, as we have the last two months.
Hallelujah!
With so much sickness going around, I'm glad we are still practicing safe steps to keep the congregation well.

This is another reason I came today: BIG Coffee Hour!
Gratitude again for this shared luncheon with my church family.
Yes, I said "my" church family, because Billy's continued emphasis on Jesus being a Jew has restored my faith in Asbury Memorial as the place for me.
We were tasked with writing on a strip of cloth what we do, or would do, to help make the world a better place.
I inscribed "Habitat For Humanity HopeBuilder" on a plain white strip that will be part of next Sunday's 'waterfall'.
I did that between my first plate and second plate.
Both had the same type of Girl Scout cookie and both had the breakfast cornbread casserole - and I even met the woman who made that so I complimented her on it!
The first plate had a deviled egg, in memory of Miss Virginia.
The second one had lots of collard greens - yum!
That went especially well with the cornbread dish!
And guess who my luncheon companions were?
Kathleen and Beverly, the "handlers" of Susan Daggett!
How wonderful to get to chat with them again!
As they were leaving, I made a third plate, which looked very much like the second one.
That was designated for another luncheon.
I knew it would be at Greenwich Cemetery, but I'd initially thought I'd spend that time with Mama.
I sat at the concrete picnic table near Ronnie's place and talked with him, letting him know we had all uttered his name on Friday.
That began with Betsy asking Smitty if he had change for a $20 bill and he'd said "From your hand to mine!"
We all recognized that as Ronnie's line and had a great laugh!
I even laughed again as I told him about it.
He must have liked it, as gentle breezes kept the gnats at bay while I ate and visited with him.
Then I found myself at Jean Marie's grave.
I picked brown leaves out of the light-up lilies as I talked to her about her daughter Brooklyn's recent tenth birthday.
That child was only 3 years old when her mom died; I was grateful that I had Mama for most of my life.
I am blessed to have so many memories of good times with her!
Even now, I still have good visits with her that make me feel loved.
Sure, I'd like to have two-way conversations with Mama, and sometimes I do, with her sending me messages in the clouds.
Sometimes I still find copper pennies that fall into my path.
And sometimes she's there in the mirror, looking into my eyes.
No, that's not the same as having Mama here and now...
but I'm grateful she and I still have that connection.
I made sure to speak to Frank and Miss Zaida and George this visit, too, as well as Zaida's brother Billy.
Then I was off to a musical at the Trustees Theatre!
I'd stumbled upon the one word, "Cinderella", as I'd searched out another event on the SCAD hub.
Was it possible THE musical???
Yes, fb informed me, it was the "Rogers & Hammerstein's Cinderella", being performed by the upperclassmen of Saint Vincent's Academy and Benedictine Military School.
And get this: tickets were just $20!
Children's tickets were half that, but there was no "Grandma" discount - I asked.
(smile!)
From my front row seat of this marvelous production, I was reminded that books (or movies) allow me to travel from my place "In My Own Little Corner" in my own little chair to exotic locales.
I was also reminded by the Fairy Godmother's song that "Impossible" things keep happening every day.
So they do, so they do.
Such as this quartet of Stitch dolls smiling at me as I walked past.
I had finished my walk on the Purple Planet's treadmill -
this time while watching "Pitch Perfect" -
and was on my way through the parking lot when they spotted me.
"Somebody loves you", they seemed to say...
so I sent the photo to my first niece.
Another moment of gratitude on this 18-mile trip!

No comments: