Saturday, March 2, 2024

three plays on a dark and stormy night!

Well, that comes later in the story.
First, though, was the second night of the "Student Directed One Act Play Festival" for the seniors at Savannah Arts Academy.
If I had researched their fb page, I would have known that the plays last night were different from the ones tonight, so perhaps I would have gone there instead of the Purple Planet...
but that's a moot point now.
Alas, alack, and all that.
(smile!)
Honestly, if I'd cared that much, I could have asked Jayme while she was there with me, but I didn't.
Instead, I talked with her about Savannah Stage Company and what was going on with them.
I'm so glad they stay busy with shows in the schools, as well as improv classes and acting classes for youths, but I'll be even happier to see one of their new plays!
Speaking of plays, just what did I see tonight?
The first one, the one Jayme was there to see, was "Antigone Now", a variation of the one that SavStageCo did in November
This one had more modern language, as well as a boombox.
Different, right, but true to the tale in its particulars.
Very nicely done, Tyson Ford-Everett!
The second one, "The Importance Of Being Earnest", was another that I knew.
The farce about girls insisting that their betrothed be named "Earnest", rather than "Jack" or "Algernon", led to come quite comical moments!
And here was something I had not remembered: one of the guys, as a baby, had been discarded and then later adopted...
sparkly shades of a "Bright Star" moment!
Good work, Mya Smith!
And let me go ahead and say "nice choice" to Ezra Gadsden for the third play!
I had never heard of "The Hope And Heartache Diner" before!
What a marvelous setting: Duke's Diner, a family-owned, third-generation business begun by a great-grandfather who still frequented the joint as a ghost.
The grandparents of the young person, Felix, who narrated the tale were also ghosts.
Felix doesn't really want to take over the business, but doesn't want to disappoint the folks.
Still, everyone knows that Felix is going to leave for a while, but first wants to prove that they are capable of doing a full day and night of managing the diner.
That gets pretty humorous!
Such a nice evening out... and all for free!
(smile!)
But the weather had shifted in the almost three-hour time span of the festival.
I'd heard thunder during the first play, then again in the last one.
Fortunately, there was only light rain as I walked to my car...
but then the bottom fell out of the clouds!
Oh, no!
I drove home between lightning flashes and heavy rainfall!
All I kept thinking about were the defensive driving lessons from the afternoon session with the IMPROV Traffic School course.
I'd done three chapters: "Speeding", "Passing", and "Stopping Distance".
All three seemed pertinent as I drove more slowly than usual, windshield wipers on double speed, on wet, dark streets.
At least the skies had been clear when I'd gone there!
Now, I'm safely home again, and well entertained, and all within my budget.
What's on the telly?
(smile!)

No comments: