Friday, August 9, 2024

not all is an aria

That's a direct quote from Fabrizio Melano today.
But first, let me set the stage, shall I?
I was there at Asbury Memorial as a volunteer again, as was Kim Owens.
This time, many of the rooms were occupied as rehearsal areas, including Holliday Hall, which had been used last night as the welcome center.
Hence, I'd gone straight in there when I arrived... not realizing that Sherrill Milnes was holding an unofficial Masters In Voice class with several students.
As I'd already intruded, I thought it might cause more commotion if I abruptly left, so I sat down quietly and quickly and observed.
I've always enjoyed and learned from those classes!
I only caught the last part for one student, but I was there for all with Bojan Medic, which was good, as he introduced me to a song I now love: "The Vagabond".
"All I seek is the heaven above and the road below me."
Ralph Vaughan Williams' tune of travel should be on every traveler's lips!
As intriguing as the song itself were the insights from the 89-year-old Maestro, not only for the singer, but also the keyboard accompanist. 
What is meant by staccato? What is meant by allegro?
Even more important: what did those words mean to the composer of that song?
Those are questions which cannot be answered, as Williams died in 1958.
So, that allows some leeway, as no one can say that the pianist's interpretation of the speed or emphasis of the "staccato" parts is not what the composer meant.
Words are always open to interpretation.
(smile!)

About that time, Emily fetched me and Kim and we set up for today's event.
That was also a Masters In Voice class, but with Fabrizio Melano and his sister, Laura Melano Flanagan, with the point being to help the singers find the psychological identity of the character whose song they are performing.
Very cool!!!
He is a noted stage director; she is a psychotherapist in New York City.
I had a brief, but informative, chat with her at last night's reception, at which she gave me some insight into what today's class will entail.
Very cool!!!

Here, they are interacting with Alayna Sevilla, who had just performed "Vissi d'arte", sung by the character, Tosca, who was 22 years old and questioning God about her lover being imprisoned when she has always been such a good girl.
Even Sherrill Milnes had risen to the occasion and offered words to her!
(Note: she was the only one for which he did so.)
Anyway, when Fabrizio was talking with Alayno, that's when he spoke those words.
"Not all is an aria."
He and Laura both explained that the song was a meditation, not meant for demonstrating one's vocal power but one's contemplative nature.
(smile!)

Alayna had been the second to perform.
Naysa Marrero Pruzaesky was the first, and she sang a piece "Qui la voce", from an opera - "I Puritani" - I'd never heard of.
She was advised that the character was suicidal and manic, necessitating a much more somber tone and body language.
What I liked most was that gorgeous, dark green, velvet gown she wore.
Very, very nice!

The third piece was the most fun for me, as "Quel guardo il cavaliere", from "Don Pasquale", required the singer to laugh several times.
When Jacqueline Germer was asked what the character was laughing about, she answered that the laughs were intended at the ladies she was around.
That was apparently incorrect.
Fabrizio told her he had always hated that song, as the character seemed to be such a braggart with no merit to warrant that behavior.
However, he now understood the character was actually laughing at her own foibles, and that had changed his mind about the piece.
It certainly changed Jacqueline's, too, and her approach.
Most excellent!

Laura Elena Fernandez was the fourth, and final, and she had a piece I somewhat knew: "Donde lieta usci", from "La Boheme".
She received insights into the character, Mimi, whose song that was, as well as context for the words in the song: Mimi was singing farewell to her lover, as she knew she was dying and that his frivolous artistic self would not do well at her demise.
Very serious, but also touching, words.
Notice anything odd about the audience today?
The vast majority were other students.
I saw no recognized singers from the past, and fewer than ten regular patrons.
Perhaps they, like me, were hoping for tidbits to help with their own singing...
even for songs in our cars or showers.
(smile!)

No comments: