Friday, August 30, 2024

27 to new homes

Remember this photo, the one with all the wooden fish in the corner of my dining room?
Those fish are all gone, save the fuchsia one with the orange-yellow tail on the top shelf.
She was always my favorite, so I let her stay.
Then I picked through the fish on the top three shelves and chose four to take away from here.
Barbara had spoken several times of taking items to Home Again, a consignment shop.
She liked the store and recommended it to me.
So, in April, after dealing with three different house insurance companies since October, and worrying about having to sell my home and move, I decided to go ahead and release some items now.
Three of the four fish that swam free then are shown here in this photo.
I also consigned the chips and salsa sombrero dish, a tall cut-glass candy dish, a deep blue ceramic teapot with gold trim, and a large wicker basket.
The deal with Home Again is they would try to sell them for thirty days at a particular price; after that, I could come and fetch any unsold or they would keep them for another 30 days at half-price.
For sold items, I get the half of the proceeds.
After 60 days, if still unsold, I would either collect the items back again, or I could release them to the Humane Society Thrift Store.
That deal worked for me.
After 60 days, I received $18.
Near the end of June, I took more items to Home Again.
The two wooden fish shown here, as well as another four, were shown out the door.
So were the glass crab with the fluorescent blue body, a wire-mesh fish Christmas ornament, an old clay gutter-spout fish, and a glass fish which was the only one of three such that had survived the move from Panama back in 1979.
On a roll, I gathered more items.
No need to hang on to the sake set from Okinawa.
Had I ever used it?
I don't think so.
Yet, I'd kept it in the china hutch all these years.
I left Hanza in December of 1982.
How about that little jade stone teapot?
I bought that for Mama while in San Francisco on vacation in October of 2000.
I intended to give it to her for her birthday that year, but she was in the hospital due to liver failure.
The item is a constant reminder of her death.
Out, out, damned teapot.
Fine, what else should go?
The Christmas ornament made from the ashes spewed out by Mount St. Helens could certainly grace someone else's residence.
That volcanic eruption in Washington was in May of 1980.
I know I have not had this since then...
but I have had the glass ball long enough to be amazed that it has not yet been shattered.
Off it went, along with a framed Joseph Powell print, a whale painted on wood, an old glass perfume bottle, a trio of small dishes for sushi and sauce, and two decorative platters.
When I checked on them today, sixteen of the 19 had sold and netted me $46.60.
Very nice!
The three that were unsold shall benefit animals in pet shelters.
That's a winning concept, all the way around.
(smile!)
Marie told me to hold off on any other items until November.
They'll have housewares moving in and out for the holidays then.
That gives me time to make a stack of items to take there.
Good.
Fewer items for me to haul in a future move,
more items to bring joy to others.

No comments: