Saturday, August 3, 2024

cartoons to chicken salad: on with the show


"I though you had the visitation for Barbara Nixon today...?"

I did, but first I had breakfast in my groove. It's vital to keep some normalcy when in the process of loss adjustment. So I allowed these two zany characters, and their friends, to try to bring the smile back up to my eyes.

"Understood."

The visitation went well, though I would have liked for some of her students to have been there. Well, Sandy was there of course, and she had been a student 40-some-odd years ago. She had her friends Kelly, Kathy, and Myles there with her. She talked a lot about her jewelry show tomorrow at the JEA. I plan to drop in for moral support, but my credit card will not.

"As if you even wear jewelry anymore. Not since the A-fib surgeries."

True. Who else did I know there today? Cedric Stratton came, with his daughter Enone, who looks very much like him. Speaking of people who look like others, Barbara's nephew, David Ranew, has her face shape, her hair, her mannerisms of speech. I found myself staring at him while we spoke. Her niece, Debbie Ranew, does not have that resemblance and looks more like her father than her mother. Interesting.

"So, Marjy had a son that looked like the brother she would have had, if your theory is correct about siblings having daughters that resemble a sister or sons who resemble a brother."

Quite possibly. I really didn't have much time with anyone there. Carolyn was there, of course, as well as Brenda Shermer. Dianne DiBenedetto was there, as she is the receptionist for the psych Barbara has seen all these years. In fact, Jeff Jennings and his wife, Judy, were both there, too. He said to me, "Oh, you're Tina." Of course she talked about me to him, just as I talk about her here on my beach.

"Indeed. How long were you there?"

From just after 2 PM until almost 4:30 PM. In fact, I was there with Carolyn, the doc and his wife, and Cedric and his daughter, for about twenty minutes after everyone else, including Debbie and David, had left. I finally took my leave shortly after Carolyn did.

"That seems like a long time to be there."

It was to my back. My upper back has been so very tense from the stress. 

"I'm sorry to hear that."

Anyway, when I left, I was hungry, so I went to Chili's. Strike 1! They were closed due to some maintenance issue.

"You're kidding!"

I am not. So I decided to try Cici's, knowing they would feed me right away. Strike 2. There were so many cars there that I would have had to park too far.

"Goodness gracious."

So, as I was in that shopping center, I considered either Seasons of Japan or Chicken Salad Chick. I chose the latter because I would get that cookie with my meal.

"That's as good a reason as any."

Right? Then I ordered. Fruity Fran? Nope, sold out, strike 1. Seriously? Fancy Nancy, then. Nope, sold out, strike 2. 

"Incredible. They'd had a run on the sweeter ones, I guess?"

I guess. So I chose my usual, Lauryn's Lemon Basil and that was a solid hit. I got the Broccoli Salad to go with it, then stepped down to get my lemonade. I was definitely eating in. And when I went to find a table, I saw her green top. Carolyn was there! Right place, right time. I am so grateful for little miracles. They truly do nourish my soul.


"Honey, that's wonderful!"

It was, too. We dined together for about 90 minutes, talking about the visitation, outings she had with Jim Reed, the loss of Joe Buttner's wife, movies we'd seen. Then we walked each other out, gave big hugs, and went our separate ways. Perfect.

"Well, that is just wonderful. Now take something for that back pain before it decides to stick around a few days."

Will do. I have other plans this evening than being in pain.

No comments: