Friday, May 18, 2018

196691

I had stopped at the Georgia Welcome Center
to stretch my legs, hit the bathroom, and ...
check on that GOTG:V2 couch.
Sadly, the couch was gone.
Then the penny machine caught my eye -
perhaps it was the coppery flash of the penny
that had fallen into the slot there?
Right place, right time - so I took out two quarters
and made this souvenir of the occasion.

Back in the car again, I promised myself to catch the
palindromic odometer reading that was nearing.
A quick calculation, once I left Florida,
indicated a location between Brunswick and home.
196691.
Where might it occur?
Would there be a nearby exit when it happened?
Would I be distracted by a traffic rush?
Would it be raining and I miss it because
my attention would be on driving?
I would have to trust that I would catch it...
and I did!
Exit 42 appeared, promising a historic location
for the odometer to click into place.
Wonder of wonders, I reached the site in time!
I had never been there: Hofwyl-Broadfield Plantation.
This is just the view I had right in front of my car
in the visitor parking lot.
(smile)

After viewing the two short movies about
the history of the rice plantation and
learning of its transition into a dairy farm,
all while giving a quick glance or two at the artifacts
in the small museum in the visitor center,
I walked through an arbor of ancient live oaks
to the manor for a tour at four.
What good timing!
(smile)
The old Park Ranger sitting on the front porch
steered me to the left of the main house,
to this eight-hundred-year-old tree.
Named the Ophelia Oak, after the last heir,
the tree easily occupies more land
than does the house proper.
I felt a serenity and calm standing near
its massive trunk, gazing up at its gorgeous
crown, and touching its graceful arms.
I took my time admiring the tree, debating
whether I should allow the old man to continue
his rest on the porch.
Instead, at 4 PM, he called me in and we began
in the parlor, with its small chairs and low desks.
By the time we had finished in the dining room,
a woman and her three teenaged daughters arrived.
The old man perked up quite nicely, surrounded by an
attentive bevy of young ladies - marvelous!

By the tour's end, a light rain was falling.
Under my umbrella, and the canopy of oaks, I strolled back to my car...
grateful for this respite under the trees...
grateful for the company of the charming young girls...
grateful that the last heir had left this aging estate for all to enjoy...
grateful.
i thank You, God.

No comments: