Sunday, May 6, 2018

jumpin' 'round the jepson

Why had I ventured to the Jepson Center after church?
Well, I wanted to reserve tickets for a couple of upcoming lectures and receptions which seem tailor-made for me.
Sadly, their software is not sophisticated enough to allow that.
All such reservations must be made online.
That's okay, though! I had also gone there to see two exhibits which would soon close. Gotta make the most of my membership... and today the parking is free!
(smile!)


The two closing exhibits were the Carrie Mae Weems: Sea Islands Series, 1991-1992 and the Paul Stephen Benjamin: Reinterpreting The Sound Of Blackness. Both had arrived in January for the Savannah Black Heritage Festival and were housed together on the third floor.
That was convenient for me to take in both!
Her work consisted of black-and-white photographs, documenting the Gullah/Geechee life and history. My favorite? A photo which showed the word 'goober' - slang for 'peanut' - evolving from 'nguba'. Pretty cool for this etymology buff!
I strongly recommend "Daughters Of The Dust", a film from the same time period as the photos in her work. The movie chronicles the story of a family on St. Helena Island, one of the Sea Islands near Beaufort. (The above photo was taken by me as I watched the film a few months ago.)
The man's work would have been better served if the two television-sound components had been in soundproof containers, with headphones for the viewer. One made use of Aretha Franklin repeatedly singing "I'm black" - just that phrase, naught else - and the other featured Billie Holiday repeatedly voicing "black bodies swaying in the southern breeze". Honestly, I didn't stay as long as I would have liked at the Weems exhibit because of the loud onslaught from the Benjamin works.
I was glad to leave that space! What else to view?
I selected the remnants of the PULSE technology fest.
I always find something there to love and I did!

"Every Picture Tells A Story",
don't it?
Why, yes, it does Rod Stewart!
In "Stuck With The Beast",
that is especially true,
as each image encases a short
silent movie viewed through an
interactive tablet.
Yan Hong's imaginative work
allows every beauty to
experience this fanciful tale of waiting for - and finding - inspiration!

“Dream of Wings” by Wangshu Sun was one of two exhibits that required the user to don a Virtual Reality headset. I loved the feeling of flying... but I had to watch my speed around those trees!
The other VR work was “Radiance” by Teri Yarbrow, Max Almy and Josephine Leong. There, I was surrounded by streams of light beams, coursing all around, from above like rain, as well as from below.
Oh, what a feeling!

Further exploration of the technological marvels
in these areas on the second floor led straight to
an old favorite - "Swarm"!
I just love how Daniel Schiffman's creation uses swooping, curving, ever-changing lines of color to capture me - and my butterfly tote! - on its screen,
and does so over and over and over!
(smile!)

And what was right beside it?
This not-so-old favorite from two years ago!
This "Cubist Mirror", crafted by Gene Kogan,
turned me and my Italy-traversing butterflies
into a work of art that the king of cubism,
Pablo Picasso himself, would have been
proud to claim!

Let's see, where else did I go?
Oh, yes, to see the Rolling Stone Press: Approaching Abstraction exhibit on that same floor!
I honestly expected something about the magazine -
oh how wrong I was.
Instead, I learned about lithography and making prints. Pretty cool!
No, it was! I watched the video three times!

Then I bounced over to the "#art912: Grounded"
works by local artist Adolfo Alvarado.
I very much liked his quadtych with the brick texture - that wasn't just painted, it looked to be carved underneath that colorful surface!
This one, another of his, titled simply "Tweet Tweet" made me laugh out loud!
Recognize anyone? Hahahaha haha!


Afterward, I went to the park by the Lucas Theatre to enjoy some natural art.
Soon, I'll venture over there for my shift at this evening's dance recital.
What a fabulous day I have had -
i thank You, God!

No comments: