Thursday, May 31, 2018

and the forecast calls for...


heat, baby! Heat, heat, and more heat, 'cause it's summertime at latitude 32 North!
(Did you get that reference to Robert Cray's song? Love this man's voice! I'm so glad to have heard him in 2007 - as he opened for Eric Clapton in Las Vegas! - and here in Savannah a few years ago. Wow! Pardon me while I take a little blues break...)
*
*
*
Okay! Back to the topic at hand: summertime!


What better way to start it off than watching Paul and Joanne fall in love again, just as they did sixty years ago?
Oh, yeah!


When Carolyn and I saw that the Tybee Post Theater was having the 60th anniversary revival of "The Long, Hot Summer" - and that it would be during the week of my 60th birthday - and it was a "Girls Night Out" screening - well, we bought our tickets ahead of time!
Yes, indeed, that's exactly what we did.
Neither of us wanted to take a chance on missing out on this 1958 classic!
She had seen the movie before, but I don't recall ever having done so.
(As you may remember, Mama and I liked to watch the old musicals and this was not of that genre.)
I'm so glad we went there tonight!
I enjoyed the story, of course, as it was cobbled together from three of William Faulkner's works. I took a great liking to him after a junior-level Literature class at Armstrong when I was getting my chemistry degree. Had to feed that non-science side of my brain, too!
But the Faulkner link was not why I went tonight.
I enjoyed the Southern setting, too. After all, I am a Georgia peach and can very much relate to that small-town lifestyle and laid-back living.
But that was not my reason for attending, either.
I was there for the love story between Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward, a romance that began right on that set and led to their marriage just a month after the film wrapped shooting, a romance that lasted until his death did them part... fifty years later.
Wow.


Of course we had to talk about the film afterward!
Betty Bombers became our destination for our review of Paul's blue eyes and Joanne's summer dresses and Orson Wells' big bad daddy act - how wonderful it all was!
And, as a special treat, Carolyn bought my dinner!
Thank you, dear... and thanks for going to the movie with me, too!
(smile)

No comments: