Friday, May 4, 2018

may the fourth be with you!


It certainly is with me!
I've just finished watching "Star Wars" - thanks, TBS! - and I'm almost giddy with joy!
I think I'm back in love with the whole franchise again.
Not that I've ever fallen out with the original characters - not hardly!
Not that I've ever failed to feel my heart stir at its music or to allow my toes to tap and body to sway at its tunes - happens every time!
In fact, I've even attended a Christmas-themed variation of the original movie - that was major coolness!
Then there was the group outing to see the Rogue tale shortly thereafter - good times!
But I have to admit to feeling a bit detached from the characters in that new film.
Ever since Han Solo was killed off in Episode VII, I've been a bit disgruntled.
That was in 2015.
Sure, Luke was located on that rocky isle and Leia was still going strong... but the man with that lopsided, little-boy grin had been slain by his own son and was gone.
How very wonderful to see them all in their youth in the original 1977 masterpiece!
I am so glad that George Lucas began smack-dab in the middle of the Star Wars saga.
Having viewed most of "Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace" in the wee hours today, and then the last hour of "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge Of The Sith", I can say with assurance that I would not have been so engrossed in the tale of any of those characters... well, except for the 'droids, C3PO and R2D2.
Seriously.
Instead of being the tale of Ultimate Good versus Ultimate Evil, "Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope" would have simply been another installment in the life and times of Anakin Skywalker.
Luke and Leia would have just been the children he sired.
That would have quite unfortunate, not only for George Lucas, but for the world.
We didn't need another "soap opera"... we needed a hero, and a trio of them with a wookie in tow would be divine...
and it was...
and it still is.
(smile)
Now, I have laundry to do and curtains to wash...
color me gone!

No comments: