Tuesday, May 29, 2018

odometer and odd lot and otras cosas


I cannot imagine a better birthday... truly.
Right down to the odometer reading: 197000.
Sandy and I had returned to the car
and when I started her up, there it was,
glowing like candles on a cake.
Right place, right time.
And just where was I?
Well, we had just dined at Betty Bombers,
so I had parked at Forsyth Park on Park Avenue.
(smile Like that bit of word play? I do!)
Sandy had her 50th two weeks ago and
had joined me on my 60th today,
even choosing the Garden Burger, like I did!
I had the apple cider coleslaw, though -
much tastier than French-fried potaters, mm mmm.
(Get that joke? Hey, I'm on a roll!
No, wait, that's my burger on a roll!)

Okay, so what's with the wisecracks?
(No, I'm not referring to wrinkles!)
Well, here's the thing: the Odd Lot folks knew
today was my birthday so they were treating me
like royalty on this free Tag Team Tuesday.
I was selected as one of three judges!!!
The Soucyman was the referee and had the final say
on scores, in this game of Bald Men versus
Hairy Guys, but our voting cards counted, too!
In this game, called "Questions", everything said
had to be in the form of... well, a question, silly!
As someone would get stumped or get tickled,
they'd have to leave the stage.
Green-capped Thomas won this game!
He was a relentlessly funny border official!
So, that was a win for the Hairy Guys.

Here are the Hairy Guys - Thomas, Doug, and Zach -
all together for a round of "Stand, Sit, Lean"
in a dentist's office.
That ended up being too difficult to coordinate -
too many moving parts for all three players -
so the team scored only a "3" (out of a maximum
possible of "5") from each judge.
Time for the Bald Men to take a turn!
What was their game selected from the hat?
I honestly do not recall... dog grooming?
I just remember laughing and laughing!
Of course I awarded them a "5" and that
had naught to do with Marshall wishing
me "Happy Birthday"!
The other two judges weren't as tickled,
awarding lower scores.
Next skit, please!

It was an Elimination Round between Zach and Marshall!
The game was "Alphabet Noir" and the case was the murdered talking dog (my suggestion, gleaned from the previous skit) and they had to start with the letter "F" (also my call! Thanks, y'all!).
They botched it at the start, but got a second try.
What a hoot it was, as the case was linked to the "zoo murders" and solved!
Zach tripped up again, so the Bald Men got the win.
"Two Lines" was this game for them!
Soucyman gave Trick and Marshall each two short lines
of dialogue to utter ("What is that?" and "No way!",
for example) and no more.
Jason had to lead the way for the "monsters in a closet", much like with "Actor's Nightmare".
What an absolute hoot! Reminded me of the Steve Martin and Bill Murray bit!
"5" from me! "5" from the guy! "4" from the blonde.

But finally there was a skit that was awarded
"5" from all three of us.
That meant the team that scored that had to dance!
Thomas, Zach and Doug merited that perfect score in their game of "First, Middle, Last", using lines from the audience in their portrayal of a man giving birth -
what a delightful romp!
But it wasn't quite enough points, in the end.
The evening's trophy -
with a win by only one point,
according to the referee -
went to the Bald Men!
Hooray for Jason Arons!
Hooray for Trick Kelly!
Hooray for Marshall Frey!
Thanks, y'all for the birthday hugs
afterward and all the laughs!

I thank You, God, for this glorious night of fun...
and for the friends to share that time with me!

3 comments:

Sandy said...


Sandra Karlin
May 30 at 4:54am

Great show! Congratulations to the winning team!

Jarons20 said...

If you like that Bill Murray and Steve Martin sketch, you might like Andy Daly in this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiajbgY6ofU

faustina said...

That was pretty good, Jason! Thanks!