Tuesday, December 13, 2022

aging? here's what to expect


i thank You, God, that Susan Barker was back to take care of me today.

For my last PCP appointment, she was out, having a worse health year than I have had.

She's had three surgeries and five hospitalizations since last December.

Ouch.

Poor me, I had to deal with a substitute in May because she was out.

As the guys would sing on "Heehaw", "doom, despair, and agony on me/ deep dark depression, excessive misery/ if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all/ doom, despair, and agony on me".

(smile)

That song always brings a smile to my face, as well as the image of my Daddy singing along and hamming it up.

(smile!

So, what piece of advice did my dear doc have for me?

That irksome crust that builds up on the outer edge of my 'innie' navel is naught to fear.

Nope.

That's just another part of getting older.

Seriously.

The skin there dries out and drifts to the surface, where it dries out further and, within two days, forms a raised, slightly gummy, crust.

Ewww... but, apparently, not a sign of the apocalypse.

Just another one of those things that happens when you keep living.

You know.

Like getting gray hairs...

like getting smile lines and crow's feet...

like getting chin whiskers or a mustache if you're a woman...

like getting floaters in your eyes that make you think birds are in the air...

like getting skin tags and crusty freckles and brown spots...

like getting cataracts...

and, now, going from belly button lint to navel crust.

Yeah, getting older is not for sissies...

but it still beats the alternative.

Just be prepared for it and don't panic!

Maybe keep a towel with you, just in case.

You know, like you're a hitchhiker in this galaxy...

which you are, just as I am, catching a ride on Earth until we reach our destination.

Douglas Adams had that right.

(smile!)

Time for lunch!

Now, which gift card to use?

(smile!)

2 comments:

faustina said...

I was reminded yesterday about two I forgot!

Men get ear hair and nose whiskers!

LOL!

faustina said...

Here's something funny: my navel is getting gunky anymore.

Seriously.

I had been so concerned that it might be something serious.

Now that I know it's just "a getting old-er thing", it seems to have stopped.

If only I could get the chin hair to stop!
LOL!