Friday, May 26, 2023

birthday musical with amigas!

I had been concerned that the show would be sold out on a Friday night -
but it was not!
Hooray!!!
And there were plenty of seats to choose from for our foursome!
We were at the Lucas, in Orchestra Right, on the eighth row... perfect!!!
Even better, I took the far right aisle seat, putting me near the wall, with no heads in front of me.
Yes!
Kaye sat beside me, Barbara was three seats from me, and Kal was between those two Savannah roses.
(smile!)
And where were we?
At the Lucas Theatre, for the end of quarter production from the SCAD Performing Arts students.
All I knew about "Pippin" was this: it's a musical.
Several songs from it had been featured in one of the God On Broadway sermons, in 2017, at Asbury Memorial (back when it was still part of the UMC).
It was also the play that linked together my minister and his wife. 
Pretty cool!
So, here it was, being performed right here, in one of my favorite venues!
I was so excited!
And as I watched, I realized: I truly had known nothing about the story in it.
None of the songs were even familiar to me!
But I eventually caught on that Pippin - clad in a Charlie-Brown shirt as a new graduate of a university - was basically a good kid of a rich dad and, now that he was out of school, he was at a loss as to what to do with his life.
One thing he knew: he wanted to pursue success and happiness!
But along what path?
When he chose to follow in the footsteps of his dad and brother in the military world, that's when I understood the correlation to earlier musicals from the 1960's (like "Hair" and "Cabaret" and "Jesus Christ Superstar", all of which I have seen in the last decade, courtesy of the Bay Street Theatre , the Savannah Stage Company in 2018, and the Collective Face Theatre Ensemble in 2017, respectively.
All featured a military element, all featured a bohemian group, and all had a love story...
as did this musical.
What great fun, even with a little bitter mixed in with the sweet, just like dark chocolate.
(smile!)
This one even included the change in ending that the 2013 Broadway revival had, the ending that showed the circular nature of life from one generation to the next.
Very good!
 
Afterward, Kal peeled off to talk to a fellow Slav at a Greek restaurant and we three went in search of dinner.
Where better than Carey the H on Waters?
(A little humor for the bfe!)
They're one of the few places in town where the kitchen is open after 11 PM and they don't kick you out until after midnight.
What do you think we ordered?
If you said "barbeque", then I say "nope!"
Shrimp salad!
(smile!)
We did all opt for different sides - 
onion rings, baked potato, fries -
but we all had the shrimp salad.
Barbara even credited me with letting her know some time back how good it was!
Cool beans!
I was the only one who opted for dessert, getting a slice of the pecan pie, and Barbara joked with the waitress about getting a candle to put in it.
Hahahaha!
A little later, she brought up Christa and told Kaye about her death earlier this year.
I put on my chemistry teacher persona and explained just what diabetic ketoacidosis was to both of them.
It felt good to be able to do that!
They, in turn, talked to be about Medicare and warned me about higher charges to expect in my car insurance when I hit 70.
I really am blessed to have these two septuagenarian women in my life!
And what are they doing here?
Preparing to sing happy birthday to me for my bday65!
Barbara had just told the waitress to put my tab on her bill...
so I told her she had to sing that special song...
and Kaye joined in!
So blessed am I!
(smile!)

1 comment:

faustina said...

This is my favorite line in the play:

"Do not be held back
by what you think
should be.
Think only of
what is."

In other words, don't play the "what if" game.
Do
or
do not...
there is no
try.
- Yoda