Thursday, November 24, 2022

turkey, turkey, ham!

LOL!
Sounds like a take-off on "duck, duck, goose", doesn't it?
Nope!
That was the meat on the menu today.
Smitty had gotten up early to smoke a turkey, as well as to fry one in his new air fryer!
Plus, there was a spiral ham, because that's what Christy likes.
Here he is with Tyler supervisiing - and taking care of stray bits of meat - the carving of the birds.
I was in charge of bringing Sprite for Kobe.
That's his favorite beverage!
This year, I decided to go for the small cans of soda.
I knew he'd not drink a liter and didn't want the rest to go flat.
This way, the soda will keep bubbly.
Christmas is around the corner and the soda will already be here!
Here he is, in the orange shirt to match his karate orange belt, with proud Dad Zach over his shoulder.
Here's Zach again, this time with Caitlyn nearby.
She'll be 16 next month!
When I asked if Christy had her drive over, she'd quickly shaken her head and said, "Oh, no!"
I told her I didn't get my driver's license until I was almost 20.
True story!
And what were they doing at the counter?
Going through the calendars I brought to pick one out!
Zach, Christy, Tyler, and Smitty all took one, as did Tony.
There he is, right there.
When I arrived, he had already been there a little while.
He came early to say he and Laura wouldn't be there for the meal.
His son, Damon, has been living with them and, in a change of circumstances, Damon's two teens would be dining there today.
Smitty and Mary had tried to encourage him to bring them all.
Nope, Tony didn't think that would be right.
So, Thanksgiving would be at two Smith households, with grown kids and grandkids at both!
I was staying with the one on Dutch island.
That would give me more time with Zach and Kobe, who I sat with in the kitchen nook.
Smitty and Mary were in the dining room, with Christy and Caitlyn, as well as Tyler and his girlfriend Hannah.
She's a real sweetie!
I hope that maybe at Christmas I'll get to meet Zach's girlfriend, Cathy, but we'll see.
(smile!)
After we all got stuffed, we visited a while, then it was time for folks to start peeling off in different directions, taking containers of dinner along for the ride.
Mary even made five containers for me!
(smile!)
And just why had I not done that myself?
Smitty had fetched out the Family Bible for me. 
Since I'd gotten busy with the genealogy thing again, I wanted to go through the family trees in that book and see what information I could import to my website.
I found lots of details for Grandma's and Grandpa's families, even marriage dates!
However, it was pretty slim pickings for my father's side.
Still, it was more information than I had!
Maybe, when I see Aunt Barbara next week, she'll have some data I can add.
I'm sure she must, and she has a good memory still.
Okay, time to get to work on wrapping more Christmas presents!
I'm giving Christmas ornaments this year to all the kids.
These two bags, with gift inside each, were for Caitlyn and Kobe.
Caitlyn now has an Amish snowman's snowball head, one that will never melt on her.
Kobe got a bouncing, bouncing Tigger, because he's bouncy, bouncy, too!
They really enjoyed the presents and, best of all, I was there with them, watching as they opened the AMC kid pack boxes loaded up with the ornaments and snacks (a bag of popcorn, two bags of mini pretzels, and a bag of gummy fruit candy) for movie-watching fun!
Yep, a little something different for Thanksgiving!
(smile!)

No comments: