Wednesday, June 28, 2023

a first for one, a farewell for the other

One of the things that happens as a woman ages is the need for mammograms.
My first niece, having turned forty this year, had her first such test today.
That was good news for me!
We had a luncheon, this time at Barnes Restaurant.
I cannot remember the last time I was there.
It's been years, literally.
They were out of shrimp salad, so I had the Hawaiian chicken (sauteed chicken fingers topped with a Polynesian sweet'n'sour sauce and a grilled pineapple ring).
She wanted their fried chicken tenders, as she remembered really liking those from her days as a waitress there, many moons ago.
We got busy talking about the food on her Cozumel cruise, not watching the clock, so it was good we were so close to Memorial Hospital or we would have been late for her appointment.
Sure I went with her, as I knew where to go and time was of the essence!
And how did it go?
Absolutely fine!
Hallelujah!

Tonight, I dined with mi amiga Barbara, a farewell meal.
She's flying off to Washington State tomorrow afternoon, to visit a former neighbor and her teenager.
That 16-year-old, Emily, is her honorary granddaughter, whose parents have finally finished a rough divorce.
As if there were any other kind when property and a child is involved, but here's the kicker: the girl's dad now has a girlfriend with young children.
She's a Daddy's girl, like me, and she's about the age I was when my folks got divorced.
At least my Daddy didn't rush into a new family.
Right?
So, like any good grandma would, Barbara is off to lend a warm heart and a listening ear.
(smile!)
So, before her jetting off, we dined at The 5 Spot.
She had a hankering to try that 5 Buddhas Salad that I had the last time.
I went for the Cuban sandwich... and ate every single bite!
It was amazingly good!
Or maybe it was just that the turnip greens, soaked in apple cider vinegar, were the absolute perfect counterpoint, making each bite so incredible!
I had planned to bring half of mine home... but I had the rest of Boo's instead.
That was so good just a few minutes ago!
Hey, I have to eat with that amoxicillin, 'kay?
(smile!)
 
Now, it's "Monday" on "The X-Files", so color me gone!
I do so enjoy that "Groundhog Day"-like episode, from the very first appearance of the spring from Mulder's waterbed to Bernard's relentless propulsion toward destruction, leaving Carrie Hamilton's Pam to relive the day, as her own personal hell.
Deja vu, but for real, all over again and again and again... gotta go!
Maybe later I should write to Carol Burnett and tell her how much I love this one with her daughter?
Now, there's a good thought.
(smile!)

No comments: