Sunday, June 25, 2023

1-dollar weekend movie festival: June

Yes, I'm aware that June is not quite done.

However, I counter that this is the last weekend of the month.

I contend that fact makes it the perfect time to talk of this film festival from Comcast!

And guess what?

The very first movie I chose had a tie-in to my Summer of Magic!!!

Right time, right place, for me!

I'd selected "Dave", a thoroughly delightful 1993 Kevin Kline film, with him as a double for an ailing POTUS.

(As a former sailor, I can't resist acronyms!)

So, in this photo trio, he's visiting a homeless shelter.

Spotting a boy by himself, he does a magic trick.

One moment the Lego is aloft in his fingers...

then, abracadabra, it's gone...

eventually reappearing from the child's nose.

Very funny, and the child thought so, too!

And guess what?

This one even had Charles Grodin!

And a little bit of baseball, too!!!

I watched it three times over the 48-hour span I had it and that VHS cassette is in the outgoing pile.

Next up was something a bit more dastardly: "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" from 1988, with a suave Michael Caine sparring with a cheesy Steve Martin.

And what was the prize they sought?

Ah, the hand of yon fair maiden, played delightfully naive by the ever-charming Glenne Headly!

Hard to believe she's been gone almost exactly six years.

Her cameos in "The Big Bang Theory" and "Two And A Half Men" are where I most often see her now.

The third one up was one ever owned by me.

That made it different, as "How To Train Your Dragon" certainly is compared to the other two!

Animated and much more current - it's from 2010 - than the others, it's one I usually catch in the 'summer kids' series at local cinemas, but not of late.

That meant it was most def time to see Hiccup - that would be the teen boy - trying to befriend Toothless, the Night Fury, after his weapon wounded the beast.

The Viking boy simply could not kill the young dragon, not after they had looked into each other's eyes.

Yeah, this was on my TV three times, too!

But what to do for the final movie?

I thought I wanted to see something else, but at the last minute, "Ever After: A Cinderella Story" won out!

Perhaps it was because Drew Barrymore is on with a half-hour morning show these days, so this 1998 film, with its emphasis on her face, called to me.

Or maybe it was the switcheroo remembrance of her rescuing the Prince by carrying him away after they are beset by a band of Gypsies?

That is a particularly "Pretty Woman" chord, and it strums a place in my heart!

Yes, a very nice way to end this film festival... and a trio of VHS movies to move out of the house!

Next, please!

(smile!)

No comments: