Sunday, June 25, 2023

all numbers are not equal

Charts with numbers can be quite useful for determining trends, but one must use caution to not misinterpret what those trends are.
Today, those present, whether in person or online, received a dressing down by the steward.
I'm glad I was there or I might have missed what was happening.
But, as I was in the sanctuary, there was no misunderstanding his meaning: he believed that everyone in the congregation were on equal economic footing and that many of them were not carrying their weight.
Seriously.

That's because he misinterpreted the data.
Here's part of the table he had compiled and had printed in this month's newsletter.
I'd seen the table, saw where my financial gifts to the church fell, and let it be.
From his address to us in the church today, he clearly meant for people to fell chagrined that others were outpacing them in giving. 
That's when I realized that he thought everyone was earning the same salary, so everyone should be paying the same money to Asbury Memorial.
That has never, ever, been true, nor will it ever be.
The membership of this church is from a wide range of occupations, with, accordingly, a wide range in earnings from one household to another.
To expect the same amount of money from a beautician as from a money management CEO is preposterous; the best situation would be for each to give the same percentage to the church, but not the same dollar amount.
That's why that table the steward compiled is not useful except for granting bragging rights to the ones at the top.
It's more divisive than it is unifying.
I do dislike these talks of money on Sundays.
I understand, as does every member of Asbury Memorial, that the staff must be paid, the utility bills must be paid, supplies must be purchased for the offices and bathrooms and kitchen, programs like Godly Play and Stephen Ministries must be paid for, buildings and grounds must be maintained, insurance and property taxes must be paid.
I get it.
And now, it isn't just the one church, but also the buildings and grounds at Wesley Oak, over in the Thunderbolt area.
Is the steward going to rant at them, too, those twenty-five or so members of a church too poor to have obtained its release from the world methodist organization?
I think not.
It's important for another tack to be taken.
I am sure I am not the only one tired of having the church stick its hand in my pocket, digging deeper and deeper each time.
For the church to already be in arrears, after having finally caught up a few month ago, I have a few questions.

What new expenses are we paying for?
What has become of the money that came in from Wesley Oak being a featured site for filming of a television show earlier this year?
How many people are getting paid salaries from our donations?
Are we supposed to feel guilty for staying within our budgets, when the church clearly is not staying within its financial plan?
I'm just asking.
Now, I'm going to smell this rose warmed by the sun, outside the church.
Aahhhh...
so lovely.
I believe in the sun
I believe in the sun
even when
even when
it's
not shining.

No comments: