Thursday, June 22, 2023

on the road to recovery at last

On Tuesday the 13th, I had my Medicare Wellness visit with my PCP.
That's Susan Barker, over at the Savannah VA Center.
The urine test came back with an elevated white blood cell count, but nothing was prescribed as I didn't know if I had a urinary tract infection or not.
By Friday, I was sure I did have a UTI, so I called her to ask for an antibiotic.
Her nurse called back to say she had relayed the message to my PCP.
I heard naught back until Tuesday, as Monday was the new Federal holiday of Juneteenth. Damn.
By that time, the suspected summer cold was a sinus infection.
Between that and the lower back ache from the UTI, I had hardly slept.
When I heard back from Ms. Barker on Tuesday afternoon, it was to be told that if I thought I had a UTI, I should go to an urgent care center.
Really???

Today, that's exactly what I did.
I spent three hours there, but I walked out with confirmation of my UTI, confirmation of the sinus infection, and a prescription for the antibiotic to treat both: Amoxicillin, in an 875 mg dosage.
The penny is by the pill for perspective.
That penny, by the way, is one of five found when I parked at ExperCare, there on Mall Boulevard.
Right place, right time.
My many thanks to them for working me in as a walk-in.
 
I even got out in plenty of time to get to a much-anticipated event at the Jepson Center.
I reserved my ticket for the "Age Of Armor" lecture and reception well over a month ago.
And there I was, at 5:30 PM, in the front row and eagerly anticipating hearing the lecture, "Fantasies In Steel: The Age Of Armor".
And there I waited... and waited... along with a dozen others.
At 6 PM, I climbed back up the stairs in the auditorium, determined to find out the reason for the delay.
I had seen the speaker and knew he was there.
What was going on?
The first thing I saw was folks with wine glasses.
On the wide marble staircase, downstairs in the lobby, on their way to the lecture space.
I saw Calli Laundre and the other museum folk by the reception desk and stopped to ask.
Communication breakdown, that's what was going on.
Instead of the usual lecture first, followed by reception, they had switched the order of events last year.
Had I not attended any of these then?
I informed her that I was not the only one who hadn't gotten the memo of the change, as there were plenty in the auditorium with me.
Calli looked chagrined at the communication lapse.
As I told her, all it would have taken was a word when I entered that the reception would begin soon, and now I had missed that and would miss the lecture as well.
I had to go to the Publix pharmacy before it closed to pick up the prescription that had been called in for me.
It was imperative that I start those meds today, as I had already waited so long.
She understood and sympathized, promising that she would send me a link to the recorded lecture so I would still be able to enjoy it.
She also hinted that I might be treated to a free lunch when I came to view the exhibit.
That would be nice; she always makes me feel special as a member there.
So, I'll look forward to that video link, and to seeing the armor in a week or so.
Just shows to go ya: life is what happens regardless of plans made.
The moral of the tale: stay flexible, and make that lemonade tasty.

1 comment:

faustina said...

Many thanks to Calli!!!
She had said she'd send the lecture link, and here it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFIRrUZFHH4

So excited to watch "Fantasies In Steel"!!!