Wednesday, June 7, 2023

vbs hero hotline: listen to God

"Let's work together,
come on, come on,
for together we can stand,
every boy, girl, woman, and man."
 
That song, which I first heard by Canned Heat in the late 1960's, popped into rotation on my mental jukebox on the way home from VBS on Tuesday night.
What an excellent choice, right?
 
Tonight, an even older tune from my childhood came alive, one that Elvis Presley had turned into a hit in 1967, fifty years after it was written.
"In The Garden" is all about never being alone, for "He walks with me, and He talks with me, and He tells me I am His own."
That's why it's important to LISTEN TO GOD.
Amen to that.
 
And just how was this message delivered to these youngsters?
With a skit about the Magi, that's how.
This time, we all wore costumes, and I had already given thought to mine!
The costume room had just what I needed, too: a crown made from four headbands, turned sideways and covered with a white cloth that trailed down the back; plus, a gorgeous purple robe with "fur" trim.
Totally befitting my Magi 1, isn't it?
(smile!)
 
Cheri Hester and Judy Wilburn were the other two who tromped behind me, as The Star - Natalya! - led us toward Bethlehem and past the palace of King Herod (played with evil glee by Steve Reed!).
Tom was the storyteller, with Lauren providing sound effects (footsteps for the Magi, a chime for the Star, "bwah ha ha" every time Herod was mentioned).
The kids all got a kick out of those sounds!
(smile!

When we had our dinner break, the kids starting practicing their part, and so did Professor Danny and Super Meerkat (i.e., Cheri).
I took advantage of the lull for us by catching a still life of their set.
I was careful to not catch the faces of other people's children, though I did get Amy Jenkins and Beth Harn in the sides of the frame.
They had kids in the program, so they had volunteered.
I'm not sure what Beth did, but Amy was bouncing in and out of rooms snapping official candids of the goings on.
I look forward to seeing those on Sunday in the wrap up before Billy gives his sermon!
(smile!)

No comments: