Monday, June 26, 2023

farewell to 33's

All of the albums I still owned are now gone.
As I told Chris at his store, "I just want them to go where they'll be heard."
That certainly hasn't been here for decades.
 

I forget where I heard about Bad Obsession Records.
In one of the many programs received at cultural events this year?
From a television 'mercial?
On a billboard along a road while at a traffic light?
I looked them up online, writing down the phone number, a few weeks back.
 
This morning, I finally called.
Chris was easy to talk to and I arranged to be there this afternoon.
Then it was to wipe off the dust from all the album covers.
 
I like the store a lot: it's bright and clean and smells fresh!
As he looked over the artists, pulling each album from the jacket and checking for scratches or warps, I spoke to him of the four hundred or so I once owned.
Those had gone to Gravestone Records, years ago, after one move too many.
I also talked with him about Velvet Elvis, the odd bits store that once inhabited the space that Mercury Lounge moved into on Congress Street.
He was not familiar with that, so perhaps he has not been in Savannah that long.
 
As he began his perusal, he asked what I was wanting for the albums.
I told him I was not expecting to get rich, I just wanted a fair offer.
After all, he would not recover any funds until he sold them, right?
When he was done, he offered forty dollars for the eighteen of them.
Definitely a fair offer.

We also talked about our own obsessions with music.
He could see some of mine from the collections I had there: three by Jim Croce, three from Firefall, two of Jackson Browne's.
I think those last two are the ones that he liked best.
His go-to song on his mental jukebox is "Somebody's Baby".
That's a good one.

Here are the albums, off to new homes, with a stop at his shop.

The Cars - Candy-O

Elvis Presley - Elvis' Gold Records - Volume 2

Climax Blues Band - Lucky For Some

Alphaville - Forever Young

Kim Carnes - Barking At Airplanes

Jimmy Buffett - Coconut Telegraph

Jim Croce - I Got A Name
Jim Croce - You Don't Mess Around With Jim
Jim Croce - Life And Times

Steely Dan - Katy Lied

Jackson Browne - Hold Out
Jackson Browne - Saturate Before Using

The Who - McVicar soundtrack

Firefall - Break Of Dawn
Firefall - Clouds Across The Sun
Firefall - Luna Sea

Bill Cosby - More Of The Best of Bill Cosby

Jim Steinman - Bad For Good

No comments: