Tuesday, June 20, 2023

so many flags, only one Earth

I arrived just in time for the first entertainment.
Sofiya Paciotti began her dance shortly after I signed in for the World Refugee Day event.
Perfect timing for my arrival!
Right place, right time!
It was as if the Ukranian dancer had waited for me.
(smile!)
And what dancing she performed, with claps and spins and parades up the aisle, encouraging others to join her in clapping and celebrating freedom...
freedom of speech...
freedom of religious belief...
freedom of choice for work...
freedom of education for children...
freedom to bear arms...
freedom.
Amen to that.
 
Each and every person of foreign birth was there today because they want that which we have, than granted us simply by the grace of having been born in the United States.
Does it take anything away from me for them to become citizens here?
No, it does not.
When Hasiba (on the right) becomes a citizen of the USA, I will stand cheering by her side, welcoming her to this new country.
This Afghani woman now has Mama's sewing machine; I have no doubt that she made her gold dress for today, to celebrate the new start for her and her husband and their four children.
They are all here to become part of this great land, not only to better their lives, but to improve the lives of all they contact.
The older woman to the left in the photo?
What good fortune for me that she arrived and signed in just minutes before I did... so I saw her name in the log!
How wonderful to have a familiar face to look for in the crowd on the pavilion at Lake Mayer!
So blessed am I, as I had been on Saturday.
i thank You, God.
And blessed I was with the food, too, as I had been then: roast beast again, this time as beef kabob, and a great amount of it!
Plus, chicken kabob and pork banh mi!
No shortage of protein for this meal!
There were roasted peppers and tomatoes to go along with the saffron rice... and apple pie for dessert.
How American is that?
(smile!)
Then, while the children played corn hole and chased each other and jumped in the bounce house, the second half entertainment began.
This time it was a pop singer, Iryna Oliinyk, also from Ukrania, dressed as if she'd stepped through a time portal set for the late 1960's.
Crowned with a floral wreath, with more flowers on her blouse, she even had back-up singers for the refrains on the songs she performed!
And when she noticed I was trying to take a photo, she was glad to oblige with smile after smile!
How very kind of her!
After she finished her third song, I took a walk around the pavilion, enjoying the cooler evening air as the storm clouds came home for the night.
Thanks, Inspiritus, for this hope-filled event!
(smile!)

1 comment:

faustina said...

I had not truly realized what Inspiritus was until just moments ago.

"Inspiritus formerly Lutheran Services of Georgia"

How about that.
That was the group that put foster children into the loving arms of Christina Ann, my first niece, for so many years.
What a blessing to her they were!
i thank You, God.