Sunday, June 4, 2023

vbs hero hotline: making it official

I hadn't realized when I went to church today that I would be getting sworn in, but that's exactly what happened.
Have I mentioned yet that I've volunteered to be part of the Vacation Bible School?
That's right, I threw that into the ether earlier in the month.
As I recall, last year was the first time we've had the program since 2019, due to the pandemic and widespread COVID.
This year was the first time ever that a widespread call went out by email for folks to help with the skits...
so, with my little touch of theatre back in my blood, I'd volunteered myself...
with my request met with great enthusiasm by the man (Tom Lewis) who'd volunteered to co-chair the VBS Storytelling portion of the program.
Like me, this was his first year of being involved with VBS in any capacity.
Like me, he doesn't have any children in any of the youth programs at Asbury.
 
And, like me and all those who had volunteered to take part in helping with some aspect of the VBS program, he took the oath during today's service.
That's me, in Mother Pat's Hawaiian, hibiscus-pink, dress, stepping up to get the oath from Kathy Hodges.

So, just what is this oath all about?

It's a pledge to serve, in the capacity I had chosen, and to do so fully and completely, for the benefit of the children entrusted to us by their parents.

"God who has called us, teach us to follow Jesus as we learn to answer your call."

I fully agree with that, as I continue to strive to follow the example set by Jesus' treatment of others.
 
"God who has called us, help us share your love to all of our neighbors when they need help."
 
I fully agree with that, as I continue to strive to help others now, as i have throughout most of my life.
 
"God who has called us, give us people to work alongside, and give us courage, strength, and sometimes patience to work with them."
 
I fully agree with this, too, even though it made me smile, wondering how others - especially the man in the black mask - was going to do with that one.

"God who has called us, help us learn to hear your voice, and to discern the things you seek to tell us."
 
I fully agree with this, and love those sweet coincidences that pop up to cheer me on those occasions when I fully listen.
 
"God who has called us, thank you for the grace you show us, and help us show that grace to others."
 
This is another prayer I fully agree with and strive toward -
though the swipe at Hai shows I still have a ways to go to master that second part.
 
Yes, I think this volunteer opportunity will be a challenge, but also valuable to me.
I thank You, God.

1 comment:

faustina said...

The primary reason I volunteered was that I keep trying to be more involved with organizations with which I belong.
The church is one that I've been trying to break in to for years, but it's difficult to get past the cliques.
(Yes, Virginia, there are certainly cliques there in this place where the doors are open "to everyone", and communion is served at God's table, which is open "to all"... but where my requests to volunteer the gift of my presence to the hospitality group or the safety group or the choir have fallen on closed ears for years now.
At least I have been able to be a volunteer for some of the theatrical troupes when they hold their shows at the church!