Saturday, June 3, 2023

magical night with mermaids!

Here we are, searching for mermaids...
mermaid ducks, that is!
 
Leila and Alyssa had not yet found the mystical fowl,
but Miyah and Chloe had theirs,
no doubt due to their sharp-eyed Momma!
 
Still, with Grammy and Daddy helping,
the twins would soon find 
the yellow-bottomed treasures
in the Springfield stores, right?

It was just a matter of bopping in and out 
to the businesses lined up on the main street,
to either side of Moncrief Square.
 
And, sure enough, mermaid ducks
came swimming up 
and into the eager hands of the children
as they explored the area!
 
The scavenger hunt began at 4 PM,
and we were all there before that!
 
A total of 40 treasures had been scattered about
and we, and the other searchers,
had four hours of festivities ahead of us.
 
Crystal blue jellyfish wafted in the breeze -
brightly colored fingers of coral waved -
music cheered us along -
and food trucks tempted us with their wares!
 
But, the mermaids were the goal!
 
After each little blonde in our party 
had attained her duck,
to claim a reward of toys and candy!
 
That worked up an appetite, 
one that called for pizza to quench it...
then, back to the theater for photos
with Ariel herself!!!
 
Of course I joined in for that!
And you know what she told me?
"You look like a mermaid, too!"
 
How very nice of her to notice my dress!
(smile!)
She even gave me a hug!
(smile!)
 
Then it was movie time, and the show was sold out!
Fortunately, my first niece had grabbed up the entire first row for us -
yes, she did!!!
Eight seats for the eight of us - perfect!
 
Ah, but hadn't I already seen "The Little Mermaid"?
Yes, I had, but I'd missed the opening scenes...
and I didn't have Christina singing every song right there beside me!
(smile!)
 
What a wonderful time with the Guyton and Hinesville part of the family!
And, I have a little mermaid duck now!
 
The deal Christina had struck with the four girls
beforehand was this:
They could choose to keep the duck,
or they could keep the prize for finding the duck,
but they could not do both.
 
Every one of the girls chose the prizes...
so we four adults each got a mermaid duck!
 
This one, with #38 on it, is the one I received.
 
I was told it had been Chloe's, but that was not true;
the one Miss Chlo found had blue seashells for a top.
 
It also had been marked as #43.
 
So, this bird in my hand was Leila's.
 
Not that it matters...
the point was to have a memento...
and I do...
for my bday65 'party' with them!
(smile!)
 
Plus, I had lots of time talking with Michael over our meal - and thanking him for buying the movie tickets for all!
And I had lots of time talking with Christina on the ride north, as well as again on the ride southward back to Hinesville, and another hour once we go there.
Those were definitely part of my birthday celebration!
(smile!)
 
Spending the night there was a treat, especially as the girls must have slept in, too.
Then they were off to a pizza party and I was off to home!
 
And what have I done today?
 
I watched two movies on MGM+ about waterfowl!!!
 
Seriously!!!
 
The first was "Lord Love A Duck", made in 1966, with Roddy McDowell as a brainy nerd at the new high school, trying to score with the new girl (Tuesday Weld!) in town.
Quite funny and helped along with the comedic talents of Harvey Korman and Ruth Gordon!
 
That was followed by "A Birder's Guide to Everything", from 2013, in which a 14-year-old boy thinks he's seen a Labrador duck, an extinct species, and enlists the aid of his birding club to go in search of the bird. Nice to see Ben Kingsley as the expert who joins in!
 
cows and old ladies on bicycles and witches on brooms, and even winged monkeys!
For real!
(smile!)

No comments: