Friday, June 23, 2023

and he's back to doing what he does best

"And who would 'he' be?"

Wes Anderson! He's 54 years old now, having been born in the same year as Jim Reed.

"Any particular reason for that reference?"

No, not really. Well, I take that back. Jim is very into movies of all kinds, and I feel that this writer-director is most likely of that ilk. I like all kinds of movies, but I do exclude slasher gore and those which might induce nightmares. In that regard, I think I'm more like Anderson than Reed. I keep hoping he will revive the Psychotronic Film Society, but I believe that post-pandemic life as a married man and tour guide has put that nonprofit to rest.

"That's rather sad, as getting together for those movies had been a good social outlet for so many you know."

That's so true. I never run into Jim Buttner or Ken or several other regulars of that Wednesday night fare. I hardly even see Carolyn these days, but I did tonight! I suspect that Barbara may have texted her an invite. Good idea!!! We tres amigas were together to watch one of the better movies that Anderson has made of late. I wonder how many of his screenplays never make it to the silver screen? I feel sure it must be akin to home-run hitters, like Babe Ruth, right? When they connect with the ball, wham boom bam!!! But they strike out a lot trying to get those big hits.

"But you're saying this foray of Anderson's into the genre of science fiction westerns is one of the big hits?"

It certainly is with us! "Asteroid City" is set in the mid-1950's, about a decade before that SMF show I so adored, "Luna... something", which featured a woman listening at a dish antenna post for SETI signals, out in the desert.

"Oh, yeah, I remember that! Very cool western-style music in that one!"

And same for this movie! I kept recognizing tunes from my childhood: "Kaw-Liga", "Sixteen Tons", "Jingle Jangle Jingle", "The Streets of Laredo"... what a soundtrack! Daddy would have greatly enjoyed this one. What a great time machine back into that era!

"Well, I'm glad y'all were all there to enjoy it together."

Me, too. I look forward to seeing this one again. As it is, I'd already chosen one of his others, "Isle Of Dogs", to be my Dollar Weekend Movie selection this weekend. Now, I know that's the one for me!

"Yes, I know how much you love that little piece of stop-motion scifi! But... I thought you were watching movies you own on VHS for those selections?"

Yeah, I am, but I made an exception last weekend, so I'm going to make another. Who knows? I just may make exceptions for several weekends. We'll see!

"Alrighty then. Okay, I have movies calling on MGM+, so later!"

That's right, that film repository is only free to me through Monday. That's when that Comcast reward expires. Guess I better go. Bye!

No comments: