Thursday, July 20, 2017

bananas on a thursday in the afternoon


Get this:
I was there early enough that the boys of summer
were not even on the field to warm up.
They were all working on getting in some chow
before the game.
How do I know that?
I had seen the RedWolves in line with me.
(smile)

Of course, Mister Willie was there before me.
He had made sure to save me a seat, too.
He's been really good about doing that this year.
I do believe he's been enjoying listening to me
as I cheer on the Bananas!
He doesn't have the energy for that these days.

So, what did I chronicle
on this summer evening?
Well, I captured the
Throwing of the First Banana!

Then we had the
Keystone Banana Kapers
as they unsuccessfully
played T-ball...
such a hoot!

Then there was the JROTC there
to present colors
while the field manager, Drew,
sang the national anthem -
such a good voice!

Then we have the real throwing of the
first pitch
by my boys of summer,
decked out all in yellow!

What have we here?
The first home run of the night!
This one was from Logan Mattix,
the first Banana to swing.
Woohoo!

Next up were our very own
private dancers,
shaking what their Mama gave 'em...
and doin' her proud!

Another break featured the
old-fashioned bed sheet racers!
(I don't know about you,
but I didn't grow up with this game.)

Here's our second home run of the evening,
this time swatted over the left field wall
by our catcher, Jacob Southern.
He didn't travel solo, though,
bringing a plus one -
dancing first base coach Matt Pita -
to the plate with him.
Woohoo!

That last run had tied the score, 3-3.
That would never do!
The batting order had come back
around to our starter,
Logan Mattix -
and he popped another home run!
Good job!

Look!
Is it a dark-side ghost on the field?
Is it an unaccompanied shadow?
Just what is that black blur
speeding toward the Savannah Bananas dugout?
It's our very own Bat-Boy!
Remember him from the game last month,
when Christian Hollie gave him the bat?


No game would be complete without at least one fan coming up to see Mister Willie and share some memories with him.
(smile)
This guy once worked with my ex in the announcer's booth, back when Gnick was the mascot.
That's been quite a while ago!
Willie even hollered "Sit down in your seat!" for this guy to record for his fb friends.
I'll stick with this video, taken during a game almost eight years ago, on July 23, 2009.
Not only does the record show the Super-Fan in his more vigorous days, but it also captured a very much still alive Arthur Crum, right there by his side on the bench.
Good times!

i thank You, God.

No comments: