Monday, July 31, 2017

experiment with cherries


When I picked up Boo at the airport this morning, she had a treat for me: tree-ripened Mount Rainier cherries.
You see, she was returning from a weeklong trip to Washington - the state - to visit her honorary granddaughter, Emily.
Barbara knows how much I love that type of cherry, so it was certainly a good gift!
As it so happens, I had recently bought some of that same type of fruit at Publix.
How would they fare in a taste test?
Well, I would do a little experiment, as I once did with pasta!


First, I took the store-bought cherries out of the refrigerator and rinsed them off. Then, I allowed them to acclimate to room temperature. Those samples are on the left.
The cherries from Boo were also rinsed off and allowed to settle in at room temperature. Those from her are on the right on my smiley-face table.
After two hours, I tried one from each source.
I was sure to drink water in between samples, to keep the tastes separate.
After the third cherry had been compared, my conclusion is: Publix has some very fresh-tasting fruit!
I was expecting some variation in texture or mouth-feel or sweetness...
but, no.
The store-bought fruit was equivalent in every way to the tree-ripened cherries which had flown in this morning from Washington, via United Airlines.
I must admit to being surprised, but that's why I had done the experiment. I had a hypothesis, I designed the experiment, and I observed the results.
You may have observed how nice the sunroom looks.
Well, that's because I spent three hours on Friday cleaning every hard floor in my house, scrubbing under the 'fridge, getting rid of little spider webs and hard white spots on my merbau. I finished by clearing off this beautiful table, this friendly, cheerful oasis at the heart of my sunroom.
Why?
Well, as you know, the physicist has been staying with me.
He's been here almost two months, believe it or not.
On Thursday night, he had mowed the back yard for me, as a nice treat.
I had said I always sat in the sunroom after that task, as it is the coolest room.
He had replied that it was his favorite room, but because I didn't want drinks on the same surface as electronics, he couldn't sit in there.
That remark stayed with me.
He had said that once before.
So, now the room is clean and is available 24/7 for his use.
Even the orchids from Nami seem to be blooming in happiness!

I should have done a bit better about cleaning.
Perhaps I will, now that I have someone here...
I will try.
After all, the bfe is really quite neat and tidy.
He washes and dries any dishes he uses; he doesn't leave trash lying around; he even removes his shoes when he comes in the house.
He's even neat in the bathroom!
Yes, he can definitely stay...
and I hope he will.
I like having him here, to share the minutia of our days.
Very nice!

i thank You, God!

No comments: