Thursday, July 6, 2017

batter up!


subtitle: gazpacho and tortugas!

I waved goodbye to Savannah just before noon
at one of her prettiest spots
along Veterans Parkway.
Starting the day with
salt marsh scenery and
a shining ribbon of water...
fabulous!

This time, I didn't pause
until I reached the
Gypsy Cab Company in St. Augustine.
I had passed by in May,
confirming that it still existed.
Now, its yellow walls and purple light
beckoned me for lunch...
and in I went!

I truly feel at home in this lovely,
brightly-painted place,
with its violets, golds, and teals!
The ever-changing art displayed
draws the eye and beckons
you to come hither...
as I have done for
more than two decades.

Of course I had a salad!
How else to get my much-needed dose
of their garlic-infused house dressing?
A chilled bowl of gazpacho
was perfect
to offset the summer heat
of the drive.
Thanks, y'all for the respite from the road!

I continued on the A1A,
checking for progress on its
repairs from the tangle with Matthew.
Most of the greenery has returned,
though not all.
Definite progress, though!
(smile)

By 4:30 PM, I was at
The Cove on Ormond Beach,
my home for three short days -
and four long nights! -
on this second summer vacation.
The condo is on the second floor
of the South Tower,
Suite 702 A, and the view...
well, see for yourself!

Later in the evening, I jetted over to Cinematique
to see their final screening of "The Survivalist".
Yes, it was a rather grim film for a beach vacation,
but it was quite well done... until the ending.
Oh well, I can still tell Tomasz about it!
Plus, I got to see Andrew Ramos of RAI
in this theatre etiquette flick!

Fortunately, the movie was fairly short.
When I came out, I saw the ballfield
was still lit up - the game was still afoot!
Even better, as it was already in the 7th,
I was allowed in for free!
I was right there when the Daytona Tortugas
beat the Clearwater Threshers by one run!
Game over, 9-8!

Afterward, I wanted a photo with
Jackie Robinson, the man whose name
the ball field bears.
A very kind young man
snapped this one for me -
good job!
What a blessed first day
of vacation this has been!

No comments: