Sunday, July 2, 2017

not just bread and wine


Reverend Billy is going on vacation.
When I read that post from the church, I knew I needed to be there today.
I'm so glad I was.
My spirit needed that inoculation against infection from the negativity and deep, dark sadness of the world.
Even Hai seemed friendlier at the post-sermon Big Coffee Hour.
(smile)
Bill was there, too, with his big hug and "Hello, beautiful" greeting.
(smile)
Butch and Jean, Cheri's folks, seemed more cognizant and mobile today, exchanging banter as we waited in the long line for the Sunday hug from Billy.
(smile)
The music was quite patriotic, from the opening bars of "The Star-Spangled Banner" to the last refrain in "America", with all invited to sing for each one.
(smile)
The sermon was about horseshoe crabs and the use of this oceanic arthropod's baby-blue blood to insure every bag of intravenous fluids is free of bacteria, so the life-saving fluids used in the medical world do no harm to patients.
(smile)
We even had Communion after the sermon, and I partook, allowing the thoughts generated to form their message to me.
(smile)

The purpose of a place of spiritual worship is to provide inoculation of the human spirit and psyche against infection from the negativity and deep, dark sadness of the world

Right place, right time.

i thank You, God.


By Heinrich Harder (1858-1935) - The Wonderful Paleo Art of Heinrich Harder, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=2426462

No comments: